Panic Stop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Panic Stop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

It was a beautiful day in Denver and I had the day off so I drove the 14 Touring to Bert's to buy a few parts for the Model A I am working on.

On the way home I stopped at the Smiling Moose Deli for lunch. After lunch and on the way home I had a brain dead female pull out from a side street in front of me with a cell phone glued to her ear and STOP in the main road. I was going the speed limit of 35 MPH and there was on coming traffic and no ditch to go to. I have had to make quick stops for stupid people before but I was going to rear end this clueless idiot. For the first time in my 45 year's of Model T driving I hit the brakes so hard that I locked up the rear end and left 2 skinny skid marks in the road. I bet that there was less than a credit card width of space between my car and the stupid person in front of me when I stopped and I am equally sure that she had no clue of my panic stop behind her! She never got off of the phone or looked into her rear view mirror. Drive safe out there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Glad you made it Paul. We're all subject to death by cell phone these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Paul -- Glad to hear that you were able to stop in time. Your '14 is much too nice to get bent. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Very disturbing experience Paul. Very glad to learn you were able to avoid a collision and thanks for the reminder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

Paul, it would be interesting to know if you have auxiliary brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Mike,

I was about 8 blocks from my house and still shaking when I got home. I jacked the rear end up and inspected the 101 year old wheels and spokes but I wonder about the single point failure things like the drive shaft and axle keys. Thank God that Henry built these cars out of the best materials of the time and they still hold up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Dennis,

No auxiliary brakes. I was surprised that the narrow drum transmission brakes would actually lock up. As I stated I have never done this in 45 years of driving T's. For what it is worth this car has Kevlar bands.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on September 02, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Sounds like A BVD soiling incident for sure! :-)

Your many years of Model T driving certainly came in handy. A newbie might not of fared as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Do you carry a brick to throw through the back window of a car like this ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 01:46 am:

About twenty years ago, I had the center-door sedan. I locked the brakes on it a couple of times. Speedsters are easy with which to leave two little stripes on the ground (no weight on the ground). The center-door took a little effort. It is one of the reasons I highly recommend cast iron lined inside brake shoes for small drum Ts, even if you don't have a Ruckstell or auxiliary transmission. If properly adjusted, they will lock the wheels if necessary.

I am so glad you pulled that one out of the hat! I don't know why they keep allowing some of those people to keep driving.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy. W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 05:01 am:

At times like that I wish to have a remote Control bazooka mounted under my car to clear the way!
Only twice have I had panic stops like that. Memory is not so clear, but I believe I stomped down on low and reverse simultaneously. That locked up everything, and thankfully nothing broke in the driveline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 05:13 am:

At times like that I wish to have a remote Control bazooka mounted under my car to clear the way!
Only twice have I had panic stops like that. Memory is not so clear, but I believe I stomped down on low and reverse simultaneously. That locked up everything, and thankfully nothing broke in the driveline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 06:13 am:

Glad there wasn't any damage, Paul. The Ford brakes ain't all that bad if we only have to use them once in a while to their limit

Inattentional blindness among modern drivers.. That's why I always have the lights on even in daytime to make me more visible so even idiots may notice. But there are no guarantees..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 07:56 am:

Paul, I'm sure glad you avoided a disaster, both with your car and especially yourself. Again, this is why I vented so strongly a couple weeks ago about that Hack that got T-boned by an asshole texting......talking, texting, no difference. Distraction. This is why I get so pissed about it, 'cause it's getting WORSE, not better, despite all the TV ads "teaching" people to get off the phone! Last night while driving my T out in the country with virtually no one around I got a text come in (felt the phone vibrate on my hip) so soon as I found a spot to stop THEN I took care of it. These young folks just don't care. And now you see BOTH driver and passenger texting at the same time...meaning virtually NO ONE is watching the road! God help us all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 08:11 am:

I would like to see a mandatory device in every car that blocks cell phone and wifi signals as long as the ignition is turned on. May be technology could allow an alert that an incoming call is present, but no way to answer it until the car is stopped and ignition turned off.
Am i asking too much? I see texting while driving going on almost every day I am out on the roads and realize they are potential perpetrators of manslaughter. Instead the car companies are adding devices in their new cars that will steal the drivers' attention away from driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 08:52 am:

We put 200 miles on my 36 roadster yesterday This is some what safer than a T, but not by much driving among todays fools on their phones. It still has small tailights that most drivers will not see,they are use to seeing three large bright stop lights. I follow Ts with very small stop and signal lights that I hardly notice. A very false seance of security. Yesterday and with any of my cars any time I plan on turning I am checking the rear view mirror ready to abort the turn if the car in back is not slowing down. This happened yesterday, as well as someone pulling right out in front of us while we were doing 55. You have to constantly be alert and plan ahead to have a chance of surviving driving with todays idiots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Though still mentally tolerant of the drivers I see yakking into a phone, I see absolutely no excuse whatsoever for TEXTING while driving. _Unlike holding a phone to your ear, this involves taking your eyes away from where they should be and putting them where they definitely should not be.

I'm surprised that people can't seem to handle talking on a phone and driving at the same time. _Until I got old and decrepit, my right hand was always busy shifting gears and talking on CB channel 19 and none of that activity ever took my eyes off the road. _I would guess holding a phone to my ear would be even less demanding than that—especially assuming an automatic transmission. _

Be that as it may; for whatever reason, the present generation of drivers has demonstrated and proven time and again that it simply cannot engage in cellphone-talking without causing pile-ups, so the laws prohibiting that are a very good idea, indeed. _Man, it's scary out there for folks in normal cars; for us, it gets downright hazardous. _Beside the grace of God, the only thing we have on our side is unwavering vigilance and brother, when my Flivver is chugging down Jericho Turnpike, I'm on red-alert the whole time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:36 am:

"I'm surprised that people can't seem to handle talking on a phone and driving at the same time. "

If you can't do them together, you have no business doing them separately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:55 am:

I was amused the other day while driving my rusty coupe. A lady driving in the other lane totally lost the concentration of her cell phone when she looked up and saw the coupe. Lucky we have light traffic here.

Not funny but amusing.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

One time in St.Paul a guy beside us was reading us the riot act and giving our driver hell for not paying attention when he rear ended the car in front of him.
There are more people on drugs and nasty medicine than you would believe.
Also boozed up. That includes ladies, young folks and older people.
A lot of people in San Francisco financial district have a mixed drink (or two) for lunch, then go back to work, get off at 3 and have a drink or two at happy hour and start for home.
I have see it happen, I've been with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

The four stages of Tequila:

1. I am funny

2. I am good looking

3. People like me

4. I am invisible

5. I am bulletproof

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration