What's in a name?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What's in a name?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Some days when I'm between interesting stuff to read I'll go to the bookshelf and pick out one of the books from the World Book Encyclopedia set we bought when the kids were small, mid-1960s. Today I picked the book that covered stuff beginning with "H". As I read through the book I ran across the word "Hogshead", It is described as, "A large barrel, or cask. It is also a seldom-used measure of volume. The hogshead varies in size, depending on where it is used and what it contains. In the United States it varies from 63 to 140 gallons, in Great Britain, from 50 to 100 gallons. In British measure, a hogshead equals 63 wine gallons. In London, a hogshead held 48 gallons of ale, 54 of beer or 100 of molasses". Just thought it was interesting that they failed to mention that it also refers to a significant part of a Model T Ford. Shame on them. You can tell that I don't have much going on today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

At least they listed proper liquids for a hogshead,so lets get one and party:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

It is a transmission cover. The reason it is called "Hogs Head" is because it looks like one when viewed in profile.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Great photo shop by a forum member!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Hey, I know that guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:44 am:

A couple of other old, not used anymore, units of liquid measure are firkin and kilderkin. There's more but I can't remember them offhand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:15 am:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firkin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_brewery_cask_units

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

I have always liked making up my own names when I don't know or can't find a pre-existing name for an object.

kiffles
kiffles

flappityback
flappityback

sleen
sleen

suckweasel
suckweasel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

When my son was 3 he came up with a couple of his own names for farm equipment... at least he knew what they were for.

Corn Piler

Field Maker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

Derek,

See, ... I like that. Those names make perfect sense for the function they perform.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration