A photo kvetch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A photo kvetch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 01:30 am:

How come folks with the wonderful talent do a restoration that looks and works like new so often don't use that talent when they pick up a camera? It's not that hard to make a picture that's well lit and in focus. With digital, a hundred shots cost no more than one. If the first one isn't clear, shoot again until you get a good one. Please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 04:45 am:

Steve, I try, but looking at them on the screen of my S4 phone, it is often difficult to pick up out -of -focus shots. That, combined with my lack of IT skills getting anything posted other than what I can do on the cell phone, makes it a bit hit and miss. Then there is the need to make corrections without losing things or making it worse!

Allna for downunderr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 06:25 am:

Steve: An Idea! If you go to the next homecoming why not set up an area to help by giving hints and tips and maybe some photo editing sessions? Now where did I put that Idea???:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 06:49 am:

Old men have poor eye sight and shaking hands with arthritic fingers trying to push tiny little buttons on tiny cameras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 07:13 am:

A great many photos are taken when an opportunity presents itself. A large percentage are not staged. Therefore the lighting and focus happens to be what's available. I apologize if the few I've posted aren't up to your standards. I'll be sure to refrain from posting anymore of my very unprofessional photographs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 07:56 am:

Dennis, you do make a good point. I WAS a professional photographer for years owning my own business, using (ahem) FILM..and I can say how amazed I am that even the best of digital cams CAN take a fuzzy shot if not held still enough. You wouldn't think so, but it can. I find though, that it seems when re-sizing say a 1MB pic down to the proverbial <250KB all the quality seems to go away when posted. Not sure why. You would think it would actually get sharper, but for some reason it doesn't.

But lets not be too hard on Steve..as we all do, he has a right to an opinion and even to vent. (like I have lately on that damned texting and driving)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:12 am:

You're right Tim. For the most part I attempt to proof read every post I write and I've only posted a few photos and thought the quality was acceptable for a computer forum. I'm not a professional author or photographer. I doubt most people on this forum are. But then this isn't Life Magazine. This is an informal forum meant for the exchange of information. We're all doing our best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:31 am:

For the same reason that people with very little mechanical talent, take excellent pictures of their mediocre work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Steve, As G.R. suggested, we would love to have you. Many of us have marveled at the clarity of many of the close ups you have posted. Tim helped my wife Kim learn how to post pictures, and with a seminar from you on how to get good pics to begin with, that would be great. We could set you up inside the museum or wherever you want. Let us know! Jerry Kramer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:53 am:

I've been taking pictures of the inside of my pockets for years. They always come out great but some what dark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:01 am:

Mike, I wasn't thinking of you. I don't see anything wrong with this. Keep 'em coming.

What I had in mind was the shots that are so blurry and/or so dark that you can't tell what they are. Most of the pictures I see on the forum are fine. What got me thinking about this was some shots I saw on another site. They were taken by somebody I know to be very smart and knowledgeable and an expert restorer, and were so fuzzy that you couldn't make out any details. I'll bet if somebody that capable set his mind too it he could easily learn to make good pictures.

Allan makes a good point about not being able to judge picture quality on a little screen. I run into that problem too. Sometimes when I get the picture downloaded and onto a computer screen I find that although it looked OK on the camera screen it's no good when I get a good look at it. If I can, I go back and shoot a better one, but you can't always do that.

I don't know about teaching photography. I suppose I could show how I do it with the equipment I use, but I'm not sure how much of that would easily translate to other cameras or operating systems. I've never taken a picture with a phone. I guess I need to learn that. Maybe I can get familiar enough with modern technology to blather about it without sounding too foolish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:14 am:

I appreciate all the info people share on the forum. Even 'poor' quality photos are appreciated, I know many who share photos are busy, have lives outside the model t world, and are still generous enough to take time to post the info. I have printed hard copies of many posts to augment the information in the mtfca publications. Thanks to all!

Respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Some people are better with cameras than others. I recently got a computer with Windows 8, and now I have to learn how to transfer pictures all over again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Dennis makes a good point:

"Old men have poor eye sight and shaking hands with arthritic fingers trying to
push tiny little buttons on tiny cameras."

--------------------------------------------

Clearly the answer in many cases is to stop being so old ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

I'll get to work on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

My post was not ment to point a finger at anyone just a general statement of old people trying to cope in a gizmo filled world.

Steve I always enjoy your photos and videos and I think the idea of you having an informational seminar at the next homecoming would be great. That gives you an entire year to purchase every camera and video product on the market learn it from top to bottom so you can share the information with us. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Oh Steve, why'd you have to put that guy on here. It's hard to be sarcastic, defensive, argumentive or even coherent after seeing a photo of that slob. His name is Beau. I call him Bobo and he's my constant companion. I tried to get him to hold that tail still so it wouldn't be blurred in the photo. As is often the case, he was ambivalent to my wishes and kept flagging it with the gusto of a flagman at a NASCAR event.

I guess I'll just keep trying to do the best I can when I post photos on our forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

My dad often said "No point worrying about getting old, It certainly beats the alternative!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Most of my pics are not square with the ground & I finally figured it out. I use the viewfinder, just like on a film camera, and the eye I normally use has an astigmatism that isn't quite corrected enough, so while I think I'm holding the camera level, I'm not. Oh well, with digital pics, that can be fixed later!

after editing

Sorry, couldn't find a T related pic to use!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Just as an aside, Steve, is "kvetch" a term commonly heard in your part of Kansas? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Is there a synagogue close by?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 02:20 am:

Oy!........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:08 am:

That is one cute doggie whoevers it is...and a nice clear picture. Sure wish those I posted this weekend of the ohio jamboree were that nice.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration