Windshield glass replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Windshield glass replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Hurt on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I took my windshield frames to a glass shop. I also gave them the original glass panes as patterns. They told me they have replaced many Model T windshields. They had laminated glass the same thickness that would work. I also provided them new metal channels. The channels fit the frame perfectly. The glass place now says the new glass wont fit and the frames are too narrow and will crack the new glass if installing them is tried. The glass shop also tried to use rubber seals instead of the metal ones I provided and this did not work either.
Does the frame open up a bit to hold the glass? Any suggestions as to what to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:15 am:

Brian, I just took the frames to the local glass company and they set new glass , it looks great, and very reasonable. Maybe you need to try a different glass company. Harvglassglassglass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Brian

The frames on your slant stanchion '23 open car don't come apart.

Rather strange that the glass shop can't fit with the channel.

I had done this myself using glass from MACS and the fit was fine using the original channels.

Service Bulletin for closed car windshield

New glass in original channel, 1923 touring.

Would ask them to find the correct thickness of laminated safety glass. The Ford spec is 5/32"-9/32" for the '23-'25 open car windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:33 am:

The current glass is slightly thicker than the original, but does work in the original channel. You might ask them to bevel the edges to help it slide into the channel easier.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration