After 50,000 miles , one idiot ruins a grand T tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: After 50,000 miles , one idiot ruins a grand T tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Dear Model T friends,

Last Monday our dream collapsed when our 1915 Model T was damaged in a freak accident in Belgium. Trudy and me came away without serious injuries which is a miracle.
Easily cruising in Belgium with the Ford safely on the trailer behind the Landrover coming back from an event in Luxembourgh, a truck driver - nearing from behind at high speed - didn't pay attention. He smashed into the trailer, causing the combination to array with the Landrover ending on its side. Fortunately, we are all doing okay, besides some bruises and myalgia. That cannot be said for the Model T and Landrover; both total loss. After celebrating its 100 year-anniversary in February 2015, the future of our Model T is very insecure. The car carried us from Beijing to Paris in 2007; from Amsterdam to Cape Town in 2012; all the way round in the USA and Canada in 2013 and from Colombia through South America to Brazil in 2014. Already more 50,000 miles halfway round the world. At this point nothing is certain. Not the car. Not the worldtrip. We'll keep informed by our website:www.modeltworldtour.com.

Dirk & Trudy Regter
Holland
The Netherlands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

That's sad, but it can be repaired or replaced...you and your wife is another story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Were you able to kill the driver ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

That T looks like a restoration project, not a total loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

Well, don't forget, they are in Belgium, not in the USA, and parts & expertise are not so common there. I do wish them the best & hope they decide to repair the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

The accident happened in Belgium but I have to assume that the car has been taken home to Holland. Never underestimate the mechanical ingenuity of Dirk Regter and his crew. If the car can be put back on the road, it will be.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I agree with Dick. I met Dirk, his Model T, and his crew in Houston at the start of his USA tour. He has done many ingenious things to that Model T Ford! I don't doubt that he will get it back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:46 am:

F

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:52 am:

The T looks repairable to me. Glad that Dirk and Trudy are OK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Too bad it's not over here. A few of us could jump in and help Dirk put it back right. I for one would be glad to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:16 am:

p.s. -- I know that having their dream of a lifetime trip interrupted in such a violent fashion must be devastating to them both. It may be difficult to recover mentally from such an experience and even to consider resuming the trip at this time. But I hope that time and support from the Model T community will enable them to complete their mission.

I agree with Royce that the car looks repairable, and I too am glad Dirk and Trudy are OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Looks easily repairable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Dirk & Trudy,

Sorry to hear this. Glad that you're okay; it could have been much much worse.

Guys, I imagine the T was secured to a trailer by straps or chains...it ended up off the trailer. I think there's a lot a damage we cannot see. It can be fixed of course but if the chassis is twisted there's a lot of work there. No doubt the insurance company will consider the T a total loss. What ends up happening may depend on the insurance company...perhaps Dirk can buy the car back from them at a low price then fix the car himself with the insurance money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Sorry to hear your poor '15 got so beat up, but sure glad you're as OK as can be, despite the trauma, both physical and mental. Like Mike said, the mental end of it can be just as problematic as the physical. I wish you both well, and hey, get back on that horse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Here are more photos of this accident . . .http://www.tfordworldtour.org/the-end-of-the.../2015/09/05/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Ross, count your blessings you could have been killed. We survived a rear end catastrophe in our 24 T touring on the 2013 Texas T Party. I was thrown from the car and bruised and battered but no broken bones. My wife was banged up on the leg and my daughter had some broken ribs. My 95 year old mother told Me I was lucky I was not killed every time the subject of the wreck came up. We count our blessings too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

I'm sorry for your accident, but glad you are still with us, but you need to teach that idiot a lesson he will not soon forget, so in the future he will not kill somebody through his negligence and inattentiveness and the best way to do that is to hit him where it hurts most. In the wallet. Get a good lawyer and finance the re-restoration of the T and the purchase of a brand new 2015 SUV and closed Model T trailer from the proceeds you get from suing the driver that rear ended you for all he's worth. Don't forget to take your neck braces and canes to the courtroom. You clearly have a case. All clouds have a silver lining. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:18 am:

Jim, the accident was in Belgium and Dirk and Trudy live in Holland. Litigation there is not what it is here.

Ted, Ross is re-posting the information from Dirk and Trudy Regter in Holland. He was not in the accident himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

There is a blind man who restores cars even though he cannot drive them. He welds by braille. If he can restore cars then that car can be repaired and the landrover too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration