Model T Window Glass (1927 Fordor Sedan)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Window Glass (1927 Fordor Sedan)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Where can I find glass size for a 1927 Fordor ?
I need to find the rear drivers door glass size. Does anyone sell ready made glass for the model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Can you measure the other side? I would recommend against buying from the suppliers, in particular Mac 's. Mine came wrong dimentions and I had to go local to have them recut or new cut for those cut too small. I am away from home or could go out and measure now. Will be home this evening if no one else gives the dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Thank you. I want to order replacement glass for the rear drivers door but can't take the door apart right no w but want to order the glass to put in later this week. I think there is a "taper" on these glass windows. Anyone with correct deminsions please write.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Rear door glass is diagram G-99.

glass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

24-27 rear door glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

Ref the price list of parts -- on Bruce McCalley's "Comprehensive CD" available from: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333725.html?1357665853 postage had gone up to $6.25 back in Mar 2015 or so.

Good luck with project.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

I guess the moral is to look again, before hitting post...Thanks Ken and Mark for posting that.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

Mark Strange / Ken Kopsky

Thank you.. Gentlemen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Daniel, you should also consider the thickness of the window channel. They tend to be thicker than the originals. The glass in my fordor was too tight because of the repo channel. Just FYI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

A timely question, to be jumping on the thread? I was going to go to a quality glass cutter (locally) and have new safety glass installed. Using the old plate glass as patterns seems appropriate, but should I expect they'll use proper window channels? I'm not a 'purist', so judging isn't a concern, just for efficient enjoyment. Does anyone have experience along this route? Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Marv, the only thing available (as far as I know) from the vendors is Model A channel. The "A" channel has a U shape of rubber coated steel. The Model T original channel was all felt and much thinner. I had the window place cut the windows width down 1/8" to compensate, it was still a bit tighter than I wanted it. My preference was to have as little amount of drag on the regulators as possible. As far as I know the regulators are not repopped and the originals have white metal which can break rather easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Thanks, Don! I anticipate doing a 'lot of questioning' before having them proceed. They've done work before on my '34, so I do have some trust. From what I know, the original plate glass is thicker than today's safety glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

On my '22 centerdoor the glass is 3/16" plate. The safety glass I've gotten has been 1/4". You can order 3/16" but be prepared to by a whole sheet which is 4'x8' and very pricey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

If I understand what you're identifying, the original plate glass is thinner than today's safety glass? Had always thought it was the other way around. Considering I plan on having all the windows done, it may necessitate that 4'X8'... Safety shouldn't be compromised, in my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Yes the plate is thinner, I have yet to have any judge inquire about the glass thickness. If you are going for a 400 point car then the expense might be worth it. Also, the earlier window frames had a brass trim for the glass to fit in to. If you go with 1/4" that brass trim will need to have the slot widened.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration