Good 7/32 inch Steel Rod for Custom Spark and Throttle Rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Good 7/32 inch Steel Rod for Custom Spark and Throttle Rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

My 1924 cut-off pickup came to me without a magneto and with a Truefire installed. When I set the timing, I found that I could not bend the stock spark rod to a long enough length to reach the timer without the rod hitting or rubbing on something.

So, I mocked up a longer rod with a coat hanger, then fabricated a new rod to match the mockup with the closest mild steel rod size I could find at the local hardware store, 3/16 inch.

The 3/16 inch rod works great, but it always bothered me that it was a little small and had some slop at the two ends. I found some 7/32 inch music wire, but it was way too hard and stiff to bend easily in my vice. So, I kept hunting around on the internet for some 7/32 inch mild steel rod and finally found some at McMaster Carr, here it is:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8893k193/=ysnjys

Although it says tool steel, it is soft enough to take all the required bends without too much effort. Works great now, and no slop!

If you need to fabricate a custom spark or throttle rod in the proper 7/32 inch diameter, this rod works well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:25 am:

You might get it locally, it's AKA drill rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

You can also buy known as "silver steel". use as it comes or heat and quench to harden, then heat again to temper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Mark:

I guess I wondered what other Tru-Fire owners had to do for a timer rod since I would think the easiest thing to do would be to simply buy a new timer rod and hook it up. What usually happens is that people bend the "stock" rod in the wrong place while trying to dodge things that are not installed correctly like water hoses and clamps. I thought the Tru-Fire emulated a regular timer at the timer end so all you should then have to do is bend the timer rod IN THE UPPER ARC portion only by either squeezing the arc together to advance the timing or pulling it part to a larger arc width to retard the timing. I have always found the "stock" yimer rod fits nice with regular timer but was not aware that the tru fire had the timer rod connection located a mile away from "stock" position. Is it that far off when timed correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:31 am:

John, it's pretty far over when timed correctly, here is a (bad quality) picture of another Truefire installation that I found elsewhere on the forum. My timer is in the same position as the one in the picture when my timing set at 15 degrees after TDC.

timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:58 am:

I may be missing something here, but my understanding is that you use any regular timer with the True Fire, and the use of True Fire should not affect the timing that much.

Is it possible this car also has the camshaft advanced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:02 am:

well... I wish I could edit. Looks like True Fire does also change the timer. I always thought they were just electronic coils. I guess not. :o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:15 am:

Here's a couple of pictures of the stuff that goes inside the timer when you install a Truefire. The white plastic thing that replaces the roller has two magnets embedded in it, 180 degrees apart.

timer01 timer02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:39 am:

I wondered about the same thing , I cut my rod and added a turnbuckle so I could retard the timer enough. My rod just wasn't long enough with out touching a connection. Love the new unit otherwise.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration