OT - Speedster and Racer types, what does this data tell us? Accelerometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Speedster and Racer types, what does this data tell us? Accelerometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

I tried this test today over a 1/4 mile gravel in front of our place. Had to throttle back a little due to lose gravel, but not much. From a standing start, on level gravel, with a little headwind. The weight (car, two spares, tools and me) programmed in at 2700 lbs. the chart only goes through 1/8 mile, but the run measures 1/4 mile.

I believe you can see where I grab high gear between 2 and 4 seconds on the chart. Running on the original Huff magneto and Buffalo carburetor:

Now it's time to pack up for Old Car Festival.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

You need to run another 320 feet so you can get a full 1/4-mile time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

For some reason the chart only goes to 1/8th, but the data to 1/4 mile. It showed 59 hp and 56.4 mph over the 1/4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Rob,Do you think you would have made that speed shifting a crash box?? We hope to see you friday!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Bud,
I thought the steady speed and hp curve through the shift said a lot for the Ford two speed. Maybe we'll find a car with a crashbox to try the accelerometer on during OCF.

230 miles down, 570 to go to Dearbon....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:55 am:

1000ft is what NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car run now to give them more shut-down space and keep the speeds down as they're getting into the 325mph range.

I'll just assume you limited your runs to 1000ft instead of 1320 for the same reasons. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Make's me wonder how much those clincher's will grow?? I really like the [Red Devil] but gold leaf?? Rob,Don't talk to us while your driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Derek, I'm not sure how accurate this app is. I know it is touchy, tried it again and couldn't get a complete test. I did get 58 in a quarter mile, which I thought was good.

Bud, I was stopped (fueling now). Just into Illinois, halfway.....
Dearborn by happy hour
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Rob,
I have no idea what the numbers mean without some serious basis for comparison. Since I have never looked at such numbers for other cars? I don't know what is good or bad here?

Have loads of fun at the OCF!
Drive carefully (both modern and antique), and do enjoy a lot! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernd Murrmann, Germany on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Rob,
I've read all your posts of the last months related to the restoration of your Roadster. It is a fantastic car and I really like the racy look without the fenders.
Unfortunately I can not come to Dearborn this year, but I sent an email with some information about the OCF to all my colleagues in the Detroit office. I hope that at least one or two will visit the Festival and send me some pictures.

I wish you a perfect week in the Dearborn area. Good weather, save tours and a lot of fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 05:29 am:

Wayne, thank you, we will have a great time. It already began, as I met several Australian friends (and forum members) at the Dearborn Inn as soon as I got into Dearborn.

Bernd, it was sehr gut meeting you and your family last year. Hope to see you in the states, or Duetchsland again in the future.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration