Diameter of Transmission Drums?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Diameter of Transmission Drums?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M. Coleman - Grand Marais, MN on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

I can't seem to find that number.

Now that the engine on the '23 is running fairly decently, today I tackled installing new band linings. Fortunately the bands are the detachable '26/27 ones. BUT the bands themselves aren't terribly round. I assume that I can carefully pound/bend them into shape. I need to come up with some object that is close to the correct diameter as a template.

Any ideas would be most helpful.

Thanks, d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Quote from an earlier thread:

"The finished drum diameter as provided by Ford is 7.5 inches plus/minus .005 inch."

Here is the thread it came from:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/411972.html?1388871115

I bought a used brake drum on T-bay for the expressed use of truing bands. I measured it and confirmed the 7.5 inch figure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M. Coleman - Grand Marais, MN on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:34 am:

Thanks so very much! Two of the bands are reasonable. One will need a lot of gentle persuasion to bring it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:46 am:

If you have a spare small diameter parking brake drum the od of the drum is just about perfect to match the od of the transmission drum plus the thickness of the band lining.

Ron Dupree

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration