Old Photo - Model T Era Auto Camp Ground

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model T Era Auto Camp Ground
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Jay,
Very cool, looks like it could be N. Calif. Can you read the bottom line on the sign in the original?
Sometime I will have to seek out some era photos of our family's "Motor Lodge", which is still in business, and still using the original 1923 cabins, although they are upgraded to electric ice boxes.
:-)

BTW, although both these buildings are gone (the Office one is where the house & office are now * I grew up in the gas station one), the signs still exist! I have the Standard Dealer sign here, and my brother has the Cabins sign tacked up on a shed wall at the resort. The mail box disappeared about 15 years ago. I put a lot of letters in that box!
Here's Cabin 11 nowadays:
}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

I bet the term "free" really meant it back then, today, not so much...BTW, i call dibs on parcel #3 when the guy with the camera gets out of the way..:-)..cool pic Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 02:32 am:

I remember staying in these places when I was a kid. I loved the ambiance and the little stores
they all had. Now, you can't find them. Everyone wants a Hampton Inn next to the roar of the freeway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:28 am:

Yes the sign reads "Free Auto Campground" but the small type on the back of the sign reads...$5.00 a person and $15.00 for water but the auto is free!

Great picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:30 am:

I went to my local Sprint store yesterday to get a question answered by a human being. As I was leaving, the girl said they're having a promotion where I could trade my "antique" flip phone for a new tablet FREE! Then she said that I could use it to access the internet, yada-yada, and only $10 per month would be added to my bill.

I said that if it costs $10 per month, it's not FREE! She said of course the phone is free, I'd just need to pay for the additional service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:45 am:

I am living in the wrong era

I would have relished being a freighter driving a team hauling a buckboard across the prairie ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:05 am:

David: You families place wasn't in Dunsmuir was it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Burger,
Next time you're on the road in N. California, Brown's Modern Motor Lodge is now Cave Springs. Most of the cabins have a 2 burner hot plate in the kitchen, with Electric Ice Box on the back porch. Louie's shoehorned in queen sized mattresses, so the bedrooms seem even smaller now, but there's at least two chairs on the front porch.
If that's too rustic for you, there are modern motel rooms across the lawn. (Big lawn under the trees between the cabins & the modern stuff, oh and a Bocci ball court is there too.)
BTW, the driveway (as seen in the above pics), still the driveway today, was the original California-Oregon Stage road.
PS every cabin has its own toilet and shower too--well two cabins have clawfoot bathtubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

Caltrans has done a remarkable job of chopping the old road into inaccessible fragments
or just burying it under the freeway. It is a shame. When these road designers come up
with all their great new ideas, they never think about those of us who would prefer to take
the old road, or drive vehicles that really aren't safe to drive on their new speedways. The
old road from Eugene, all the way to Redding was utterly breathtaking (if not downright scary
in places), but it was a wonderful experience at 40mph or less. Anymore, everyone is in such
a #@! hurry and they drive off the cliffs or head-on some poor schmuck while attempting to
pass. This culture demands we spend BILLIONS to make everything ugly and sterile so they
can go like a scalded rabbit. WTF ? I cannot drive my TT to Montana via US 10 anymore
because the designers thought it best to chop key sections out so they could build I-90 in its
place. It would be on par with driving my TT from Dunsmuir to Redding on I-5 ! Nothing could
possibly go wrong here, right ?

Thanks guys. :-P

I am with Jim .... take me back to 1930.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Larry, I believe you're correct. The Deweys are some of the best things to come out of Dinsmuir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Oh bother! I have to live that down???
Yes Larry, Dunsmuir, CA--to be more precise: NORTH Dunsmuir! :-)
Burger,
I could tell you some stories about driving my Model A from Dunsmuir to Redding & back--many times. Once my Dad drove a Huff Payloader from Redding to Dunsmuir--top speed is probably less than 20 mph on that thing!
Amazingly, the recent highway improvements have re-acrivated portions of the old 99 as 'frontage roads' so part that used to go nowhere now connect to interchanges at both ends. Nowadays you can take the old highway (different years of it, admittedly) from South of Dunsmuir to North of Mount Shasta & if you know the really back roads, you can go clear to Weed. From Weed to Yreka, the old highway is a long ways away from the freeway, and you can take it all the way to the Collier Rest area, almost to Hornboook. From Hilt, you can take the OLD OLD road to Ashland.
Hmm, when I started this I was only thinking of short sections, but then I kept remembering stuff! I'm thinking this would make a really interesting long-trip T tour!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

David, Do you remember Tommy's Supper Club, I stayed in Dunsmuir a year ago in one of the cabooses at the Railroad Park resort and couldn't find anyone that remembered Tommy's. I had a great time there in 1974.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Careful David D or you might get talked into a T Tour from Dunsmuir to Ashland :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Dennis,
Hmm, I was in Dunsmuir then, going to College of the Siskiyous. I'm thinking it was on Sacramento Ave (the street next to the RR tracks in the Weed Hotel building (hasn't been the Weed Hotel since probably before WWII) and didn't last very long.
I have to admit that I don't remember either!! That particular location was (from the 1965s on) "The Litle Black Egg" a dance place, then it was the Slot Car Track store, then I think a Pizza place, and then it could have been Tommy's and it's spent a lot of time since being empty. like it is now.
Bill,
You're right!! uh oh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:39 am:

I want to sign Rusty up for that tour!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:57 am:

David,

It is those forgotten old highways that I live for. And it really chaps my hide the way road
builders wipe out the cool old roads so they can build THROUGH it, rather than over or under
it, allowing both to function.

I would love to revisit that area with an eye on following the historic wagon roads and later
highways. You had a lot of gold seekers and such up that way early on. Great history. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Burger,
When I was a kid,you could still see signs of the original California-Oregon stage road, both on our resort and below the city park--if you knew where to look. The trace of the road behind our place is still there, but really hard to see, the rest of it has been wiped out by floods and trail making (for fishing-folks). The trailer Linda & I first lived in was on top of the trail, it went diagonally through the resort and out the front driveway, across what is now I-5 and through the area the Elementary School is in. I never knew where it went after that, probably past Browns Lake (which may or may not still be there). I've always been "into" history, it's why I be acme a museum curator. Oh well, that's now a "previous life".
I like the idea of the T tour, I will try to look into it this winter, maybe plan something out-I'm sure Terry H. & Wayne S. would help me out! We don't have a "club" around here as such, but we usually know what each other is doing--sorta. I guess this would mean I have to get Barney up and running too. .
Hmmm. . .
Oh, the resort's lawn area was reportedly a summer camp for an Indian tribe (Madui??). How's that for a place with history?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Several years ago we held a 1 cylinder tour based in that area. Our 1905 1 cylinder Cadillac had no trouble with the terrain. We toured all through that country. What surprised at the beauty and lack of traffic on the back roads. We headquartered in Yreka at the miners motel. There is an incredible touring valley east of Yreka where were drove and ended up in Weed. This was all done in 1 cylinder cars with little or no trouble with the hills or traffic.

A model t tour there would be very easy and quite enjoyable. I'm up for it. Sad to say too far away to help but world participate.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Yes, the old highway is fairly flat, so that would be an easy tour for 1 & 2 cylinder cars. You mentioned "east of Yreka" and I hadn't thought about it, but a tour of Scott's Valley would be fun too--some hills to climb to get there, but once there, also not too hilly. Hmm, I will really think about this--there are many secondary roads and small towns to visit! Weed has a nice small museum too. Lotsa Junque stores around too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration