OT Original 1921 Buick

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Original 1921 Buick
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

I know this is a Ford site, but are we allowed to post to the classifieds for another brand antique car? An elderly neighbor is trying to sell her husband's original Buick, and I took several photos but don't want to post to the classifieds unless I'm allowed to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

My vote would be it's OK, as long as you put OT (Off Topic) in the listing title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Bill... Lets see it!! My vote is it's OK too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

How about letting us see? I worked on 22 Buick, and I know Erik B's a Buick fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Here are some pics I took today. The car was purchased from the original owner in 1968 and has never been restored. It still runs, but hasn't been on the road in a year. It has the original side curtains tucked in the top bow, and has the original top and top boot and owners manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Like (but don't have the storage space and can't afford). :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I would love to have that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Believe you me, I was really tempted! This is a super solid car and as far as I can tell it's all original and has never been restored. And boy, it it BIG! The lady selling it is a real sweat heart too. Unfortunately, they had to sell their collection of old cars, and all that's left is this beauty. They really hated to part with it, since they've had it for so long. But the husband is 89 and in poor health.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

I don't think anyone would be offended by posting it on the classifieds.These are fine cars. Drive it and you will see why it cost several times what a 1921 model T did. Condition of the structural body wood is real important when looking at one of them. If the doors are loose when you open them, it will need some work. This one has had some changes under the hood. The vacuum tank has been monkeyed with, and the water manifold replaced with rubber hose, probably it rusted out. It will very likely need the water pump shaft repaired or replaced, I have never seen one that did not. None of this is a real problem, and worth doing. I think it's worth $10K at least, if there are no wood problems. Tires and other parts are pricey but available. The starter/generator is a marvel of engineering, complicated but reliable if cared for. This is a nice car for someone wanting to see what non Fords are about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

You might also list it on the Horseless Carriage club website, hcca.org.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Wow, very similar to the one I worked on, although yours is in better condition.
BTW, it's been in that garage since the 1960s. Al the door handles are on it now too.

And yes, it steers like a truck when going slow, and it stops like a model T (stops is a misnomer here!). But it shifts beautifully and is a kick to drive, except you can't see anything behind you! (notice that back "window"!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Thanks for the input, Erik! As far as body structure, the car seems extremely tight and solid; no slop in the doors at all. I will post this to the classifieds tomorrow when I have more time, but thanks for all the positive input everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

I own a 1929 McLaughlin Buick,2 door Model 29-20.Its a great old tour car & yes it also steers like a truck,when turn a corner.
I think that the 21 Buick will make someone a great tour car,if its left in its present condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

If you list it as a Buick in the title of the ad anyone who doesn't want to see it can skip over it. Lots of us like to see photos of the competition. It's not a problem with me.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

And you will NEVER have a bad head gasket! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Nice to see something unusual like this. Thanks for sharing.

I was looking at an unmolested 1925 Flint on Craigslist tonight.

Another neat car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:12 am:

It only has 2 pedals. How do you drive it ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:36 am:

The vacuum tank is easily rebuild able. The fuel filter has to go. The spark plug cover is missing, but on occasion you see them pop up on eBay. Looks like a great original car from the pictures. I would spring 10k for it, if it looks as good in person.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Also, speedometer cable is missing. Probably means the Stewart head is locked up?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:40 am:

When better cars are built, Buick will build them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration