Hershey or swap meet guestion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hershey or swap meet guestion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

I have been to a couple of swap meets, but I have never been to Hershey. I plan to go this year. At the other swap meets that I went to, I found some good parts and met some great people. The one thing that I did not see much of was touring body parts. What are the experiences of others finding body parts at swap meets? I know some of the vendors will let you pre-order and pick up at Hershey, but don't want to do that if I can find some parts at the swap meet. I have a 25 Touring. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:14 am:

Tim, you can never tell what you will find. Last year I sold a complete touring body and body sections. I believe I still have the left side, possibly quarter and doors of a 25 touring. wont know for sure until I unpack as I only sell at Hershey and don't see the stuff until the next Hershey. I have also bought body and body parts there. Get ready to walk, its huge. We will be in the red field.

Our Hershey space numbers are: RCB 44, 45

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:28 am:

Timothy.... Just go. It's mind-blowing. You'll love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:12 am:

Yep, worth going even if you don't find that special item you're looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:14 am:

It takes me three days just to cover it once!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Copping on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

I have never been but know a few who have (it's like 14,000 miles away) and they say, if you see something you want, buy it there and then, as you will never see that part again. The place is so big, you run out of time before you can see it all. Certain fields cater to certain makes of car so study up beforehand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

This is what I have found about swap meets. If there is some part I am looking for, I can't find it, but finally when I find one, from then on I find that part at many swap meets, but now I don't need it! I just go with a few things in mind but if I see something I can use, I buy it even though it was not on my list!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 06:00 am:

Red field and the orange field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 07:05 am:

I agree that you should buy it when you see it. I saw a neat old neon clock that I was interested in. I walked away to count my money and give it a second thought, and when I turned around 30 seconds later, a man was shelling out cash for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 07:06 am:

The again, I've gotten some great deals on Friday by holding out! It's definitely a gamble!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Waiting until Friday can get you a bargain, or not. I made a deal to pick up a 1915 block for $200 on Friday morning. By opening time on Friday the monsoon was in full force and the guy with the block was on the road home. If you only want it but don't need it, you can gamble and wait. If you need it or REALLY want it, buy it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Steve... If it's the block I'm thinking about, I studied the same one and found some areas tucked deep up inside that were severely rusted, compromising the block integrity. I walked away... and I've been wanting a spare 15 block for about 5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Hmmm... Maybe the monsoon saved me :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Thank you for all the good tips. I am looking forward to going!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Are the programs, with the vendor lists only available at the swap meet or do they publish them online before the meet?

(Message edited by tdmiller12 on September 06, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:16 am:

I don't know that I agree with certain fields catering to certain makes. I wish it were that way, but the fact is you have to cover the whole place in order to ensure you don't miss something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 07:28 am:

Hershey is great,I enjoy meeting the people on this forum there. I let people leave there stuff at my spot to pick up later all the time. Some borrow my hand truck to take parts to there car or spot.
There's always a chair or two for resting your feet.
Stop on by. OBD 3-4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:20 am:

I do agree that certain areas seem to have particular themes, mostly because a particular car club might have a big tent with members having spots close by. The area up behind the stadium tends to have a row of vintage race car stuff.

But yes, it is a real hodge podge which is why you have to walk up and down every row and hope you don't overlook something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:21 am:

I agree with Hal. I've found a random mixture of cars and parts through the whole thing. Here a part, there a part, everywhere a part part...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Tim:

The 'Programs' are only available during the show, this is a very good investment.

respectfully,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Agreeing with Dan B. Purchasing at Hershey. As you go down the rows, and see what you may need - the option is to buy now or wait till later. Best strategy is haggle the price and buy now. If not the fellow behind you will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

you can usually download vendor space maps and look spots ahead of time if you have a particular vendor that you know their space number. save your program for the next year will be a big help for future trips. extra cushion socks and a backpak are a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

In case you missed it in What have you done?

Something like this can save you from sore shoulders. That backpack can get pretty heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

I am getting ready for Hershey and all that walking, I hope they have enough rest rooms to recycle my drinks.
Photo will explain it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

That reminds me of something that surprised me the first time I went to Hershey. That's the folks who set up shop as port-a-potty attendants ("This one, sir!") and give out hand wipes for tips. Is this a common practice at similar events in the East? I haven't encountered it anywhere else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

It isn't in Kansas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Steve you should have been at Hershey before the attendants! By the middle of the week the potties would be in ripe shape.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration