To Water Pump or Not to Water Pump, that is the question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: To Water Pump or Not to Water Pump, that is the question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hank Western on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:52 am:

I have read billions of posts about water pumps and their value or lack thereof. I have a 26 T with a water pump but it leaks. I want to do away with the pump. Where can I find the part that will replace the pump and make the car original again. I see that Snyder doesn't seem to have it. Any help would be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:00 am:

If yours is like many, you'll need a water outlet, tube, two hoses, and four hose clamps. I'd call Chaffins or Langs. One of them will fix you up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Click here:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3015.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:01 am:

You can get the inlet fitting from Langs or from many of the used parts vendors, check your radiator to see if it is the two row one if so it will require a new radiator for it to work properly, you can tell which radiator by looking at the fan pulley if it is about six inches long you have the small radiator and it just is not big enough to do a good job. If in doubt of what you have take a picture and post it here and you will get a lot of good advice.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:02 am:

The water inlet and metal tube and hoses and clamps for your car are common items and relatively inexpensive. Call Langs or Bobs and ask for them. The tubes, hoses and clamps are made new. They carry used parts and will be able to supply you with the inlet you need for next to nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hank Western on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Henry and Royce
THANK YOU both very much. I spent hours researching this on the internet. You two guys fixed me up in 8 minutes. I am grateful. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Oh yeah, and a gasket. :-). I'm assuming there are two usable bolts already present.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Snyder's does have the parts you need. Look between engine and radiator pages. Also consider replacing the fan belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Yes, without the pump you'll need a shorter belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

And you may need the bolts. Some water pumps required longer than original bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

And there is an outside chance that a thermostat was installed in the water outlet ( front end of the cylinder head). You will want to remove it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Hank, Snyder's does have it. A search revealed http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/search?attr15=17&attrYear=&pn=search&t=&q=wate r+inlet Plus you need the bolts, metal pipe and hose and clamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Forgot to mention, you may find that without the water pump, you don't get sufficient cooling. That would indicate the need for a better (new) radiator. I sure would like to know how to edit you own posts. Can't seem to find the magic mix for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Never go with a water pump. Trashing my troublesome water pump was the first thing I did even though mine never leaked. Henry Ford's thermosyphon system is the best for your car. Even with a tired and leaky rad, the original system always cooled my engine. If you are worried, invest in a new Brassworks or Bergs radiator. I put a new Brassworks in mine and it just passed the ultimate test, The Woodward Dream Cruise traffic jam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

I have a 1926 coupe. Even though it is not correct for the 26 T, I bought the brass water inlet tube instead of the steel one as the brass does not rust like the steel one does. Looks better too. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Jim,Your right about the brass pipe and i also wonder why anyone would buy the steel freeze plugs instead of brass?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:26 am:

I ran a water pump for over 40 years, and thought they were just fine, but I decided to try the car without one, and it still runs just fine, I only need to keep the water level down just a bit in the radiator. As far as a steel water inlet pipe. If you wish to use a brass one that is up to you. I used water soluble oil in my cooling system. The water pipe will never rust ever, and if I dare say, as thick as the water inlet pipes are, I seriously doubt if one would rust out in a very long time even with plain water!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:33 am:

What effect will the water soluble oil have on anti freeze?? Bud not in calf??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

I think most people that use soluble oil also have a antifreeze mixed in with it.
I use a half gallon of anti freeze in my T along with soluble oil. I Use a gallon of antifreeze in my 51 V8 pickup along with lots of soluble oil.
You never know when the weather can turn cold enough to freeze around here or when I might go some place and stay over where it could freeze.
When I lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota I used 50% or better antifreeze. It doesn't mind the oil.
Water pump lube is nothing but soluble oil anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Some OHV T engines need water pumps, the stock thermogeyser system often is not up to the task.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hank Western on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

The help I have received on here has been unbelievable. You guys are truly awesome. Thank You so much. I do have one more question. How do I properly adjust the spark advance lever so that's not the cause of my overheating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

I recently had a phone conversation with an old Model T hand whose advice has been good in the past. He said move the spark lever down to where the engine runs best, and mostly leave it there even going uphill. If you're climbing and start to hear pinging, raise the spark lever only enough to stop the noise and move it down again when you finish the climb.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration