What have you done? September 2015

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What have you done? September 2015
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

I don't think anybody else has done it yet, so I'll start off this month too.

A month ago it was making a box to go under the seat. Today it was getting a running board luggage rack ready to use. I did the straightening today, but I'll leave the sandblasting for a cooler time. It won't be like new, but neither is the car. It will look pretty good for a $3 rack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Last night I got the rebuilt front axle assembly under the car, now it sits on jack stands that are under the axle. Today installed the hood shelves. Tomorrow after I help with the breakfast over at the American Legion will put the new wheels bearings in the front hubs and install on the spindles. Drain the coolant and change out the radiator and hoses. The axle is a bit tight and so I'll start with backing off the tie rod ends first to see if there is where I over tightened the blots and nuts. Hopefully That is here its at as I think the king pin bolts are fitted only a schose tight and should wear in fairly fast once I get the column back in by Wednesday. The Coil box is about 50% done and once my parts order shows up on Tuesday I can also start on that. The goal is to start and drive it out of the garage next Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Did Friday and Saturday at the Jamboree in Westlake Ohio. Great time, great trips, great scenery. Been a while since I drove down Lake Rd. (Rte. 6) and am amazed at all the "po folk" living in them there lakefront houses. ;)

This week coming up, get the '15 ready for the OCF. September is gonna fly by!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

by the end of August I had the trans tore down on the sedan, balanced the flywheel and brake drum/driven plate assembly. Ordered parts to reassemble the trans and engine. I need to replace and ream the driven shaft bushing, balance the low and reverse drums. Dial everything in and get it all put back together. I'm expecting things to run a whole lot quieter once it's together. This week I need to do some touch up paint on the hood of the speedster, clean it and polish it and get it ready for next weekend "distillery Tour" on Saturday and the Little Falls car show on Sunday. But I'm not doing anything until the temp and humidity drops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:35 am:

Finally got my trick exhaust system in my TT, I modified it just a bit to suit my TT. The exhaust was made by forum member Seth and I really like it, well done. Still have not got it running, but I am closer every day :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Got the cab up on the frame and finished painting the sheet metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

I got my '26 roadster back together and on the road. I had to re-bush the triple gears and balance them, install a new ball bearing fourth main, install a new modern cam seal, mill the reverse and brake cams for O-rings. I also installed a rear roller bearing and machined the front bushing for a modern seal as well as a new bendex in the starter. A big thanks to forum members for all the help on this project. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Justin, beautiful truck looking better than new

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:24 am:

I didn't do much on the T. Just rebuild a few coils and dressed up the car for the Tintin rally yesterday,Sunday 06.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Not exactly "work on my T", but it's in the neighborhood. Maybe the best thing I bought at Hershey last year was this folding parts carrier. Just the thing to take a lot of wear & tear off the shopper.

But remember getting a "flat tire" in school, when some other kid would step on your heel?

That's what the little cart, with its short handle, kept doing to me.

So today I made a handle extension to eliminate the problem. Now I'm ready to tote swap meet goodies.

The handle folds down with just pulling a pair of pin clips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

put my firewall back on the TT and was going to put steering column on but find to much wear. Also was checking the steering gears, best I can understand the manual, it says the 3 pins should be in tight, is that right? on mine, one well fall right out. its a 26/27 steering column. Also hopefully a picture of my exhaust I just put on.\

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

steering gears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

exhaust system from Seth, called a Taylor loud speaker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

sorry about multiple post, could not figure how to git more that one photo in a post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Went to help a friend adjust the bands. Got them adjusted and could not get the engine to start. Starter wouldn't work. Engine is very tight and tried a few pulls on the starter but couldn't get it to start. Removed the starter and it would not spin. We believe the terminal is broken loose inside the starter.
So goes the month!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Haven't needed to work on them........ :-O
But I DID take a friend and his father-in-law, who's from Idaho, for a nice ride last Thursday.
It was humid and pushing 90º so it was the perfect time to go for a ride in the '19 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Got the front wheel bearings installed, and on the car. Finished removing the Rad as I drained it before I left to go to the shop. Tomorrow is steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Sandblasted and painted a luggage rack. In a couple of days I'll turn it over and paint the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Lifted the floor boards to grease the drive shaft and u joint and found that the passengers side rear wishbone nut had backed way off. After 19 years of driving this T I never noticed that both wishbone nuts had no cotter pins installed! There installed now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:08 am:

After seeing all the problems Steve had with his gas tank I decided to build a gas filter to try and prevent any problems with my tank after I flushed it with vinegar. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Steve, I have a running board rack just like yours. When I mounted mine, I put some rubber strapping under the mounting brackets to keep from scratching the running boards. I got the strapping on Ebay, it is labeled as Chevy (gasp) Camaro gas tank "anti-squeek" padding. You probably have something lying around that would perform a similar function.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-69-Camaro-Trans-Am-ANTI-SQUEEK-GAS-TANK-STRAP-KIT-/17 1890539685?hash=item2805797ca5&vxp=mtr

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Yep, dead inner tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Perfect! I also found a nice wicker basket on Ebay that fit my running board rack. It was listed as a wicker magazine basket.

Most baskets are too wide to fit between the rack and the splash apron, but this wicker magazine basket fit perfectly. :-)

basket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Now that's a good idea. There is a basket maker here locally who makes split white oak baskets of all sizes and shapes. He could make one just the right size for the space available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:38 am:

I put this car together this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:41 am:

more pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

My starter broke last February while attending a funeral for a fellow Model T guy. I then had spine surgery and was out of commission for a while. When I got the can off of the Bendix I found that the head had broken off of the front Bendix spring. Our son Steve came over and ground a flat place on the broken off bolt and drilled it out. We pulled the Bendix off but the starter shaft was gauled so that the bendix would not slide on to the shaft. I used crocus cloth to fit the shaft and a reamer to clean out the inside of the Bendix. Last night I finally got the can on the Bendix and will attempt to start the engine today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I'm building a WW-I Ambulance for the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA. I built them a Hucks Starter Truck a few years ago.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/

I've been working on the chassis for the Ambulance for a few months and was ready to begin work on the body for it when Gus Bryngelson posted pics of his two Ambulances here on the Forum. The body for the first one he built was placed on an incomplete chassis for use as a static display.

I contacted Gus and asked him what he was going to do with two WW-I Ambulances, and he said he'd sell the first one. I put the owner of the Museum in touch with Gus, and they made a deal for that one. So I drove to Gus' farm in Idaho (3,255 miles round-trip) in my 1986 3/4-ton pickup pulling my Model T trailer and picked it up. About 2 weeks ago I enlisted the help of a couple of friends and we made the body swap onto the new chassis. Here it is as of now:

amb

That's a new Berg's round-tube radiator at the left of the top picture. It gets installed tomorrow.

a2

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, which is a good thing because I have only about 2 weeks to get it finished. Then I'll load it up and head east with it. It needs to be at the Museum in time for their WW-I Air Show Oct. 3-4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

And Hershey will be just three days later. See you there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Always wanted a brass car so I sold my roadster pick up and bought different Model T.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 07:49 am:

My favorite year. It's a beaut. In better shape than mine, and more correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Ron, nice looking '15. Like Steve, I love my '15 also, but my '12 is my "pet". Yesterday finally decided to try to put the "2-man top" up by myself on Clarabelle the '13 which went pretty well, needs a bit of repair eventually but hardly ever use it anyway.Of course then off for a drive, both in the afternoon and evening then with my wife. Next on the list is to correct the upholstery and windshield posts. Otherwise, she's pretty darned correct, down to the dark blue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

I'm still struggling to get my engine completed for my 16 coupelet. Due to a couple of family issues I'm looking at mid October for completion. This pushes back upholstery also, slowly but surely it will happen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Ran a concrete nail into left rear. 40-50 year old Ward Riverside tires are hard to remove. Got her off and new one on. She was worn out anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Very sweet Roadster Ron,....congrats and best of luck with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Absolutely beautiful brass "T" Ron, but it must have been very difficult to part with that sweet little truck you had. What really "made" that little pickup for me was the bumpers and especially the color,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wade Gipson on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Hi, My name is Wade and I am new "T" addict. After almost a year, I got my '26 coupe running during the last couple of weekends. However I have a long road to recovery ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wade Gipson on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

The previous picture is on the day I brought her home in January 2015. Here it is today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

I didn't mean to, but I spent most of the day working on the roadster. First was the carburetor. The NH I had on the car had been off, apart, and cleaned out multiple times, and I still wasn't satisfied with it. The car started, but not as easily as it should. So I cleaned out another NH and tried it. Much better. I started the car on the first pull several times on BAT, and even had a few free starts. On MAG it usually started on the second pull, so I'll keep that carb on the car until I get around to rebuilding a G for it.

For the past few days there's been a drip, drip, drip from the radiator petcock, so I decided to replace it. Of course it was stuck tight and broke off in the hole when I tried to remove it.
So I spent way too much time drilling out the stub, tapping the hole, and putting in another petcock.

Now that the car starts easily and runs well, I'll take it to town when I go shopping tomorrow, and see if it continues that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:42 am:

WELCOME WADE !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:15 am:

Welcome Wade, Looks like your doing something right, and a good job at that. Good luck with your project, and welcome to the forum and to the hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:24 am:

Awesome work Wade! Well done, and welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:46 am:

Yesterday, the 10th, was my Birthday, so I took the day off from working on the Fordor. Since last Thursday, my T buddy, Erich B. re installed my High compression Head, lapped the valves, installed a new TW TIMER, Adjusted the Valves, installed the exhaust pipe, re installed the exhaust manifolds, and so much more, I just can't remember. Since then I have been putting back all the other stuff, radiator, adjusting and filling or topping all fluid levels, and making sure everything was tight, and where it should be, drained the carb bowl, and potato, as it has been sitting for awhile, and just got the hood on, but needs a slight adjustment, which I will do Friday, (today). I started it two days ago, and ran it for about 15-20 minutes, and left in overnight to cool down, then re torque, the head bolts, by the method, posted on a diagram, on the forum here. It ran really smooth after a few tries of trying to start it, and even made a video, of the it, but haven't downloaded it yet on You Tube. Today, I want to test drive it on the road, and see how she does, no overheating, running smoothly, Etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Hello, Wade, and welcome to the Model T Community. I see from your profile info that you're in Lead Hill. I'm in Fayetteville, which isn't far from you. If I can be of any help with your car, give me a holler at 479-790-4229. And whenever you're down this way, look me up and come by my shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Just finished putting my new leather door strap from Russ Furstnow on my '14. The original's were so dried out that they broke after opening the doors a couple of times, so Russ made a set exactly as the originals - thanks Russ!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wade Gipson on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Thanks George, Keith, Justin & Mike.
Mike, I sure will, thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Made a video. https://youtu.be/b5ycpdfIjDo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wade Gipson on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Steve, nice video!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Steve -- I see in your video that your '15 steering wheel has a varnished rim. Shame on you! That's not what God and Henry intended. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:48 am:

Touché!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:58 am:

Ran my two front wires out to Gary at Pico Wheel Service in Chatsworth,CA have trued and straightened. Will drop off two new tires on Tuesday. Tomorrow Martin Vowell and I will be over at young Derrick Pang's to further go though his '21 Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Sting me once, my fault. Sting me twice, all out war!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

Rich, you better call for reinforcements :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

On my 9th can of spray. I see have have been too lenient in past years.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 01:03 am:

Saturday, Martin Vowell and I made another sortie to Derrick Pang's place. Found our short after our rewire job.

Our short was caused by the incorrect screw that attachs the gen.wire to cutout.Too long and touching gen.body. Not having a suitable replacement screw a few washers did the trick.
The new timer loom was still on backorder so I took shrinkfit to cover the two inches of bare wire at timer and redid the connectors (all the old electrical tape was falling off.

Next sortie will fix a tire, replace brake quandrent, drop inspection pan .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Got my re-silvered reflectors back. Look like new!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

The fires presently raging in California make for hard breathing so yesterday I was playing with camera placement on the Model T and decided to shoot a video of one of my major innovations in Model T maintenance.

Today it is almost impossible to breathe outside so I took the time to upload the "Amazing Oil Bottle Funnel" video.

The Amazing Oil Bottle Funnel

If you click on the link and play the video you may need to increase volume... beware the hood ("bonnet" to Jem) on a rusty old pickup is QUITE LOUD!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Got two T's loaded on trailers ready for this year's CANAM run in Langley BC. Can't wait to go!

Did have a knock in the 1923 so dropped the inspection cover and took some shims out. Sounds great now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Got a couple of the T's & the wife's Fairlane moved over to the "new digs" !
Loading up for the Can-Am on Wednesday !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Gave a lift to a hitchhiker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

I finally put a pipe plug in my radiator. That's about all I've done to mine all year. I feel bad but I've had an off year, work slow plus going through a divorce, but.... Today after work I rummaged through my pile of parts did some brainstorming, measuring and all that good stuff and I think I'm going to build a speedster. I should have paid more attention to Richard Eagle's post about the wasps. Last thing I did today, was going to make one more measurement, grabbed a frame I had leaned against a wall in my garage to lay it down and there was a red wasp nest right inside the frame rail where I grabbed it. I got stung on 3 fingers. They won until tomorrow :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Corey, I feel your pain. Wasps and otherwise.

A Speedster will make all things better.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Dang Corey, those red wasp are worse than the black ones. I was working on an airplane last summer that had been sitting on the ramp for a couple years in the same spot and got stung by a red one. That thing got me in the ear and it felt is if someone had hit me upside the head with a shovel. Just last week the wife got stung on the hand (knuckle) twice by red ones. Those things are bad news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

I drove 12 hours Monday up to Huron, SD to pick up that refurbished Ruckstell rear axle that was on sale on T-bay a week or so ago. Met the seller, Mark Smith, a great guy whose dad passed away earlier this year at age 99 and 5 months! Mark inherited his dad's car projects, including a sweet Model A and an aluminum bodied speedster, see attached pics. Oh, and I also stopped at the world's only Corn Palace in Mitchell on the way home on Tuesday. Thanks, Mark, for a great deal and your hospitality! :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

pic7

pic8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

The wife and I took a couple with us yesterday for an afternoon tour in Christine (the '15) as it was a super nice, muggy-free day here in Northern Ohio. Chrissy ran absolutely flawlessly, as she usually does, purred like a kitten, we hated to even stop and have supper. After that a short ride home, they were getting tired. Had an hour and a half of daylight left so I went back out alone for another ride until dark! Couldn't give it up. Bet I did 70 miles over all yesterday. Then drove a good 35-40 today, went to see some other T-friends and some non-T owners and took them for a ride. Great day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

I assembled the engine for my 1914 Touring this week. It looks like I can squeeze a few hundred miles out of this one before I send it to be rebuilt. New rings and bands. .015 piston clearance. .003 wrist pins. The cylinders had been sleeved years ago but a few rust pits most of which I honed out. I will see if I can get away with this one.

My best crankcase had a bent front seal plate. I replaced it with one from another crankcase. The rivet holes were apparently randomly drilled because they did not line up well.

I also found one band ear overlapped the rivet hole so they just left that rivet out. I ground the ear back so I could use all the rivets. So much for quality control.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

I set the engine and transmission back down into the frame on the sedan today. I've been having a lot of back pain for the last couple months and it's slowed me down a bit. By noon the engine was resting where I need it to be and I'm on a hot pack for awhile. Tomorrow I take the speedster out for an hour or two then if I'm up to it I'll start bolting the sedan motor down. Everyday is baby steps but I'm making progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Took 3 transmissions apart was able to swap bushings from bad drums into good ones and now have a really nice smooth tight trans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I drove my T the last day of summer then the first day of fall. :-) Today I did some more thinking on my RM modification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 01:22 am:

Derrick's T Part 3#
So Martin Vowell and I made another sortie out to Derrick's. Todays list was to fix a tire with new tube, we cleaned the rim well and taped it with pipe tape installed tube and flap WOOLA ! it holds air this time. Mart and Derrick then went after the EB quadrant,Teeth all rounded of. After a hardtime drilling out rivets it came off and got reground and filed. Works great now. I drained the oil and removed crankcase inspection cover to chase down a knock.#1 was on the loose side and filed the cap (No shims on it) got it down .015. Ran out of light so I'll do the other three on next visit. Had to get Mart home at a better hour so he wouldn't turn into a pumpkin with the wifey.
OUR Hero gettin' down and dirty

Mart gettin' ticked at the rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Yesterday took the distributor off and started the conversion back to coils. Hope to finish that today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Finished repairing the original battery rack. I bought a reproduction from Lang's about a year ago - and it is a perfect copy of the original, but I don't want my T to become "George Washington's axe". I intend to reinstall the rack that my T left the factory with 88 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:39 am:

I successfully started my 16 coupelets engine for the first time.

Here my daughter is helping me prep it on the test stand.

Prepping Engine for First Start

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 06:03 am:

I like using cheap & simple solutions like a chain drive for my high tension magneto.
After approximately 1200 miles in a year with my primitive pickup I've had to adjust the chain a few times as it wears, but I thought it would settle a bit after the initial wear as transmission bands does - but after 80 miles last weekend and 150 this saturday it was loose again, so I was thinking maybe the whipping in a long chain adds to the wear, so I made a spring loaded chain stretcher out of some flat steel and a rubber roller with ball bearings for the chain on some modern scooter I've found in a general auto parts store. Let's see if the chain wears better from now on?

Chain stretcher 1
Stretcher 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 06:12 am:

Got my Doodlebug running back on coils after removing the distributor. I have to tweak a few things in the wiring, but it fired right up. I choked it twice, pulled the crank a third time and it spit and coughed, I ran over quick and pulled the advance down and it stayed running. Now I just have to reacclimate to how this T is going to like to start hot and cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 06:13 am:

Wow. I hope one day I can have a post to add to this like you guys. For now, all I can say is I joined the Early Ford Registry (#388) and got a membership at Piquette. My family and I are looking into adopting a window there.

Keep up the good work!

JK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 02:15 am:

Picked up to wheels that were welded,trued,spokes straightened and painted.

Bolt holes were all woggled out and cracked needed weld and rebored and swedged.

Taking rears in tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Brought home a broke down T from Canada. Ended up replacing the ground strap from battery to frame. That fixed my electrical problem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

The magneto plug holes had been stripped out and drilled oversize on this transmission cover. I screwed in some brass screws with JB Weld on the threads and re-tapped the holes.

Also filled these lever holes with 3/8 rod, peed the ends and drilled out to 5/16 for the pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

I have during September driven a lot in my "new" 1/2 ton 1921 pick-up as I got the historic license plates September 14th. Now the old bands are gone (met the Waterloo at a parade) and I am now swapping all bands to new kewlar.

In front of my house

The rear "historic licence plate" with a local number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Went for a drive in the mud and snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

The September report. Work does continue on the spring '15 runabout (as always slower than one would wish, but progress is good).
The "poor-man's" restoration rotisserie, two large saw-horses.

Since the picture was taken a few days ago, I have finished cleaning, sanding, and priming most of the frame (except for the front cross-member which needs a minor repair first). I would have painted it today, but there is this weird stuff falling from the sky??? I think it is called rain? I am not going to complain about it. We have trees that are dying from the drought.
I also, starting several days ago, sorted out rear spring leaves. Tapered leaf springs are fun if you don't have a complete original set. They are not as consistent as the newer springs were. First, you sort out what you have by how close they fit together. Then you figure which ones to reshape slightly to make them fit better. The less tweaking you have to do to old spring leaves the better. I had four leaves I didn't have to tweak at all. A couple leaves you have to replace with later leaves because you don't have enough original taper leaves? They require even more reshaping plus a lot of grinding to make a taper leaf out of a later one. A lot of cleaning, sanding, fitting, priming, painting, greasing and about four days later, I have a nice black, tapered leaf rear spring installed in the rear cross-member of the frame.
Think I can drive this for its 101st birthday?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Went for another ride to day. Stopped at Culvers for ice cream. No one was around so drove to my Ford dealer and said hello to the crew. They love the car. Then drove home and went to another Culvers to treat my wife.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration