Prest-o-Lite tank mounted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Prest-o-Lite tank mounted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

I had a Prest-o-Lite B tank that I wanted to mount on my 1911, but did not want to drill any holes in the running board!
So I made an adapter plate to mount the brackets that lined up with the existing holes where the E&J carbide generator bracket mounted.

The adapter plate is in the shape of an E, so keeping with the times, I call it an E-dapter.

I made it out of 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat bar. I drilled and tapped the holes for 5/16" x 18 studs, and welded the studs in place.
The E&J studs point down, the POL studs point up.

Here you can see the alignment of the E&J bracket with the E-dapter.

Here is a test fit with the tank in place before painting the E-dapter and the finishing touches. The POL tank was painted with Rustoleum silver out of a rattle can. POL brackets were painted with Rustoleum black Appliance Epoxy out of a rattle can.

Here is the final result complete with Prest-o-Lite brackets I bought from Donnie Brown and Prest-o-Lite sticker I bought from Gary London.

Here is a close up of the bracket.

Let there be (acetylene powered) light!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Great idea. There is nothing quite like acetylene lights. Good solution.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

I would love to have a Prest-o-lite tank,but you talk to Air-Gas and they look at you like you smoke weed!! Buying the tank simple enough,getting it filled,not so much!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Look great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Why did the Carbide replace the Prest-o-Lite and why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Very nice E-dapter and nice flame in the light. How about a couple pictures of the car too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Not to rain on your nice work,but at least some of Prest-o-lite straps were Copper plated originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Keith, looks very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Is it the auto tank (with a gauge in the end) or a normally upright welder tank ? As Ken Delong asks,
how did / do you get it filled ?
I have several "A" size prestolite tanks and they simply refuse to fill them !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Also, if you have a pressure tank, would you not need a regulator before you go into the red rubber hose ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Nice work, Keith. It looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Looks great Keith.

We use acetylene tanks with all four brass cars. The "Presto-Lite tanks are still available from most gas companies, although sometimes hard to find. I just bought one for our Model K this summer, and checked three suppliers in Lincoln before finding one with two of the horizontal mount (offset valve) tanks filled.

Suppliers/fillers will not fill a tank if it still has the gauge, and the tanks we found have a plug where the gauge was mounted. I made this quick video lighting our lamps on the Model K. I don't use an auxiliary valve, just the tank valve, and that works fine:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQEYdNb1u4&feature=em-upload_owner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

James; the acetylene tank is instant on/off, less mess and much more dependable. Most cars went to them before Ford did, and many Ford's had the carbide generators replaced with the acetylene tanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Bud-
Take a picture of an offset valve B-tank when you go to Air-Gas. If your acetylene options are limited, ask if they would call you when an offset valve tank comes in. I had the tank and asked at the shop (not Air-Gas) that I wanted my particular tank filled. They said no problem. It took several weeks tho...

James-
Most cars came from the factory with the acetylene generators which used calcium carbide crystals and water to make acetylene gas. Many cars came from the factory with Prest-o-Lite tanks. As Gary says, the tank is easier and no mess!

Brass TT-
There is no gauge on the bottom, but I will try to get one and do a gauge "mock-up."

For those who do not know, an A tank is about 22" long and 7-1/4" in diameter. It holds 70 cuft of gas.

There was also an E tank, which was 16" long, 6" in diameter and it hold 30 cuft of gas.

No need for a regulator. Just "crack" the valve open. If you can hear the gas, it is too much. Prest-o-Lite made an "Automatic Reducing Valve" which was a regulator set a 3 psi so motorists just turned on the gas and did not have to fiddle with the adjustment. Here are a couple of examples:

Mine is like the fitting on the lower left.

Jack-
One of the brackets that I got had traces of copper plating. It helped keep the rust at bay!

Now I have the best of both worlds: I can have acetylene light burning, or I can take off the E-dapter and tank assembly and put on the E&J generator back on for show.

Dennis-
Here is the rest of the car...

Thanks for the nice words, guys.

And Larry will be happy because I didn't drill any holes in the running board!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Keith,

Great idea!
You can put the bling of a brass generator back on in a matter of minutes. Same goes for the Black & Brass.

The 1912 through 1914 cars had both running boards punched for the generator which would make a good way to attach the Prest-O-Lite on the drivers side and a tool box on the passenger side with the adapter you have fashioned.

Bud - both AirGas and Praxair folks are basically unaware what the offset valve is for. I have found that the best approach is to ask to look at their acetylene B tank racks. You have to be near the tanks to pick them out.

Only when I show them the offset valve do they realize what we are looking for.

The first tank I bought last Fall from AirGas was an empty out of his empty rack, $100. The next week I checked and they had a filled Prest-O-Lite that had come in and I swapped tanks for $23, the filling charge.

I bought a third full tank from Praxair last month. Same story, looking at their filled B tank racks and there was a POL in the middle of 30 center valve B tanks.

Don't buy a POL unless it is certified. It costs to have it certified. Filled POL's are too easy to find.

Western International (the biggest in the U.S.) will not fill a "bottom gauge" tank.

The POL B tank Keith shows above has the "fine thread valve" in it. It was made to "crack" open for the car headlights. Even then, Prest-O-Lite sold a regulator for good flame control,

I have the coarse thread valves on my three tanks. They will have a small handle much like a water faucet and are made to use with an acetylene regulator.

If you see a o/s valve B tank with a rim around the valve area, it is probably a "Searchlight" or "Autogas" tank. Big competitors of POL. I passed on one at Praxair because I didn't know what it was.

Model T #1 was shipped with a Prest-O-Lite tank. We have been looking at that invoice just a week or two ago. I do not know how Ford charged for the Prest-O-Lite tanks.

The Prest-O-Lite tank was an upgrade over a gas generator. It cost as much or more than a speedometer back in the day and once you use one you will definitely understand why.

I have an POL E tank (30 cubic feet tank) but I haven't seen an A tank (70 cubic feet tank). Here is an add for the different size tanks and also a brass generator. Note the costs.

That plug in the bottom of an acetylene tank is a fuse. You can see the fuse in Rob's tank.

Prest-O-Lite supplied tanks for the carriage trade too,

I believe B was for Bus, MC for motorcycle. I have not been able to find out what E (equestrian??) or A was for. Anyone know?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

It was too nice of a n evening to not take the car out for a gas light drive this evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:26 am:

If that's not pretty, I don't know what is!

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Keith, It looks great! It would be perfect at the OCF.....

Keith (The other one)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Keith G.,

Was there a Gas Light parade or just a drive around time at the OCF?

Pictures or videos of that would be great to see.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Ken,There are video's of the gaslite drive and if you find Don Booth's video i think you will find them?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

Bud,

Don's great video doesn't seem to have any evening or gas light pictures in it. I'm computer challenged so I probably just missed it.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Ken, At the OCF they encourage you to drive your car around Greenfield Village all day as much as you want on both Saturday and Sunday. There are also car games and the "Pass in Review" where the "historians" describe your car to the spectators in the bleachers set up for this purpose.

Then at about 7pm, we light our lights (or turn on your vintage electric lights) and drive in a prescribed route (kind of a big oval so that no one has to stop for cross traffic) through the Village until 9pm. It's dark then and it is really a Gaslight Parade, and a very unique experience. At 9pm the parade is over and they set off fireworks to signal the end of the evening.

Like you, I haven't yet taken the time to figure our how to post pictures on the Forum. I did take lots of pictures at the OCF, though, and if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send them to you.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Ken,I was thinking once on the video you could also look on videos of other years for the gas lite tour.They do exist.Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration