No High Gear?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: No High Gear?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

I just replaced the triple gear bushings and installed a new ball bearing fourth main. I also took the clutches out to inspect them. After first start up I have no high gear. Also an intermittent squeak like a rub now and again. I do have low and reverse. Ideas? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Check clutch fingers adjustment inside transmission. This can be done through cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Clutch linkage adjusted properly? Is the clutch shaft adjusting bolt coming off the brake lever cam?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Check the parking brake shaft. In some cases it can be bent which will hold the clutch in the neutral position with the pedal out. Also the adjustment of the link between low pedal and clutch. See attachment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Well you guys were right. I went out after feeding the cows and looked it all over again. The lever cleared the cam after I installed the motor and bolted it down. Then I put in the floor boards. Guess what the problem was? I pulled the floor boards and it works. There was just enough change after assembly that it hit. I can see it's been rubbing for a long time. Thanks for all the help. Norm, that's a handy drawing. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Norm has it correct. It is likely the adjustable link to the low pedal. I replaced bands once and had the same issue after reinstalling the hogshead. Try this, remove the link entirely and see if you can turn the motor over with the hand crank. If it acts like it's in gear, then the link needs shortened. I had the same issue once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Oops, was typing while you posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Gary, that's great. It's the experience I'm looking for so everyone that chips in is that much more I learn. Thanks, PK.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration