Need advice on upholstery patch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need advice on upholstery patch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Our 16 has a bad spot on the armrest cap the fabric is falling apart the other 3 caps are leather. I would like to just keep it together I have thought about glue any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Why not just cover the corner? Double the exposed edge and match the edge to the original seam. Pull it tight, tack it in place and you should be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Why not just cover the corner? Double the exposed edge and match the edge to the original seam. Pull it tight, tack it in place and you should be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 05:26 am:

I just worked on a friend's 1910 Reo, his original upholstery has the same problem, and he's trying to save it. More accurately, he's trying to slow down the deterioration.

The fabric, or leather, has dried out to the extent that it's giving up the ghost, as it used to be said. It's going to continue to come apart.

What we did on his rear seat, to slow it down, was to carefully slide a leather piece under the leather, at each tear, then with a small artist's brush, apply contact cement to as many places as could be reached, under the old and over the new. Then, when the cement had set, gently push and place the old on the new to attach. If any glue is still visible, which it will be, clean up with Goo Gone.

I'll try to get some pictures, the car is still in my garage. Not pretty, not permanent, but as mentioned, it slows down the falling apart and hides the stuffing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:08 am:

There are sources for "distressed leather" if for some reason you decide you need to replace that section:

http://www.carrollleather.com/distressed-leather

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration