Old photo - Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old photo - Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 04:30 am:

Saw this speedster photo at a Facebook group. Some commenters don't think it was built on a Model T since it didn't have a Ford radiator.. Looks like a Whippet radiator, but I think the license plate says 1923 and the Whippet's came in 1926?
May have been another type of accessory shroud?
Odd extra radiator in front of the main?
Headlamp lenses looks like the green tinted ones used by Ford during 1921 until the fluted lenses came with the 1922 model.

Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Roger,

Great photo. I suspect the smaller heat exchanger in front of the radiator is an oil cooler.

Note the car has the above the axle wishbone -- so that part is mid 1919 or earlier. And although the California license plate appears to be 1923-ish, notice how beat up and old looking the plate is compared to the car. In the lower left hand corner of the photo it has "Pub 8 41". I wonder what that is related to if anything? Perhaps it might be a date -- i.e. Publish Aug 1941. I wonder if that photo was published somewhere in a newspaper or magazine in 1941?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:20 am:

There is a wire wheel hub mounted on the rhs of the body ahead of the rear wheel. This is for a side mounted spare.

The steering drag link is unusual and I suspect a different steering unit has been added.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Very cool. I think that is a Laurel radiator. The front spring appears to be the pointed leaf style that was available for a while in '17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:58 am:

He's clearly gotten his money's worth out of those front tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

The spare mount looks just like my Pasco hub. The wheels also have a lot of spokes like a Pasco. It looks like there is a reverse formed at the top of the cowl like a speedway body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

That type of radiator shell was known as the FIAT type.
Whippets had a fiat type shell but that car does not have a WHIPPET shell. Close though.
Besides, Whippets did come out first in '26 as Roger pointed out.
By '29 Whippets had a more flat radiator shell like a model A Ford.
The picture above shows a speedster that would really be nice to own.
I think I would do something about that flimsy looking steering arm though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Wow! I am late to the discussion on this one! Roger, Hap, Howard. Eric, Andy , and Aaron have pretty well covered it.
That is about as good as an original era speedster gets. Very good looking and well finished. It does look as though it is several years old when the photo was taken, but fairly well cared for in spite of being well used.
Great photo! Thanks all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration