Parking brake rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Parking brake rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

These two pre-'26 brake rods have different length upsets for radius rod clearance.

rods

Were these two types used in different years? If so, what are their dates of use?

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Doesn't anyone know about this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:12 am:

That's a good one Mike. Never seen the longer one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Maybe an older aftermarket brake rod with the longer off set area? Over the years I've only seen the shorter standard version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:38 am:

These are from my early '26 and I am pretty sure they are orginals.'26 brake rods

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

I just looked at Langs catalogue and they show the 26-27 brake rods being straight?

Maybe when the picture was taken they didn't show them from the side.

And if you read the description it says the rod is straight. An error in the description?

If they are straight how would it clear the radius rods?

So which is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

William -- That looks like the longer upset on the one I have. I thought the '26-7 rods were straight, but then I don't know much about "Model U" cars. :-) I also thought the '26-7 ones were shorter than the pre-'26. These two are the same length. If someone welded in a piece, he did great job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Seeing the question I recalled that I have a 26-27 rear housing with a rod still attached. Of course, there's no guarantee that it's the right rod. The rod support is in exactly the wrong place for the rod to work. The rod only, not including the clevis, is 53".

The second rod, with the shorter upset, is 54".

The third, with no upset at all, is 54".

I'll leave it to the rest of you to thrash out what all this means.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Keep 'em coming, Folks -- we'll get it figured out yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

(Donnie Brown must be on vacation.) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Notice the straight one has a forged end.
Hmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

The Truth Is Out There! Somewhere/???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

From what I can gather from previous forum discussion the 26/27 brake rods were straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Since no one has asked,I will, could they have been for wide track rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

Mike, Ive been gone, just not on vacation :-). Im not sure about the brake rods. I always thought the ends were the only differences. According to Gail Rhodda, the "forged" ends were for 1909 to 1919. Then they switched to a "split" end in 1919 till 1925. He states the 1926-27 rods were straight. Since Williams rods are the long upset and his car is a 1926, it may be the long upset is a transitional thing, before Henry switched to straight rods. ???? Im going to add the long upset rod to the growing list of "possible" early 26 transitional changes. Maybe with a little more research and more info comes to light we can add another change made to the Improved Models. Im just speculating, and thinking out loud at this time .. Jack does bring up a good point about the wide tracks, or what about TT trucks ..?? Im not familiar with either of them .... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Steve Jelf. Can you tell me what style drain plug is in the rear axle housing you show in the pic above (hex or square recessed hole). A good pic of the backing plate showing the rivets would also help. Since the rod on it is a long upset, and if the axle housing is a early 26 style, that would be something interesting to speculate about .. Donnie Brown ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration