Radiator drain question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Radiator drain question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Did all Ford radiators come with the same familiar petcock? I have a round tube low radiator and it had a pipe plug where the petcock goes. I lost the plug and went to screw in a petcock and the hole is too big. I can't remember if it is a Ford radiator or not. I bought it a few years ago from somebody on the forum that was getting a new radiator, Mike Walker I'm thinking but I can't remember. Just wondering, no big deal the plug works fine I just need another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

A modern radiator petcock will work there also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Corey, The standard thread for the radiator drain is 1/8" pipe. All cars (not sure about the water pump 09's), used the same thread, and a similar petcock. The crankcase (2X), gasoline sediment bulb (1X), and radiator (1X) used the same petcock).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Maybe it is an old aftermarket radiator. I've got plenty of Ford petcocks but they don't fit. I'll just have to go to the hardware store and get a plug. It's 3/16 or 1/4 pipe thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

Corey, You could also try a "bushing" to adapt the thread from 1/4" pipe to 1/8" pipe. Then the standard 1/8" petcock would work. These should be available at the hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

I'll try that if I can find a good enough hardware store around here. It is almost impossible anymore to find slotted head screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

Corey try here for slotted screws I order from them frequently. :-)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=yuoflj

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

hadn't thought about it but they have petcocks too
http://www.mcmaster.com/#petcocks/=yuoi0t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Corey, good to see you back on here. I sold you that radiator. It's been awhile, but as I recall, the original threads were bad and it had been drilled out for the 1/4 inch plug. As David M said, all you need is a bushing and you'll be good to go. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:13 am:

My T's have the sane petcock that is used in crankcase. I always thought they were the same.
They both have 1/8" pipe thread.
You can still find them in junk boxes at auctions and swap meets. Seems like they always wound up there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration