Gas tank shut off valve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Gas tank shut off valve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:43 am:

The gas tank shut off valve of my 1926 touring has a small leak in the valve shaft.
Are there replacement parts for this or is it just an O-ring to replace. The shut off valve is new since 2008 and is used every time as I stop the engine even for a short stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:35 am:

Andre I have a 27 & 26 (Cowl tanks) and they both seep fuel. I've remove the original on the 26 as its RHD and they don't make new ones for RHD cars. I purchased two 12v fuel cutoffs and plan to fit these to eliminate the need to open the bonnet every time I park up plus remove the constant smell of fuel when I open the garage door.
The 26 is 6v and the 12v cutout works fine, here is a pic of my current system on the 26.
All the major suppliers offer complete sediment bowl units if you want to stay original and don't have any luck fixing the leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Andre, The original 26-7 sediment bulb used a packing between the rotating brass shutoff and the brass packing nut. If it's leaking, turning (tightening) the packing nut should stop the leak. Or, the packing can be replaced if tightening doesn't help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:44 am:

I have had very poor service from after market shut off valves. I use on the 22 so I don't have to crawl under to shut off the gas. They last a couple years and then either get so tight I can't turn anymore or they leak. I don't think they were intended to be used every time the car is parked but only when one works on the carburetor, but experience has taught me that the T carburetor can start to drip unexpectedly at any time, so I shut off the gas every time I park for any extended period.

Maybe there would be a market for replacement sediment bowls with shut off valve for right hand drive cars? Parts dealers see this post!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Norman I agree considering there must be thousands of RHD T's around.
I lost a full tank from my 27 overnight once, opened the garage door and the shed was swimming! lucky it didn't blow. Hence the auto shutoff valve option, I never want to experience that again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

Norman I agree considering there must be thousands of RHD T's around.
I lost a full tank from my 27 overnight once, opened the garage door and the shed was swimming! lucky it didn't blow. Hence the auto shutoff valve option, I never want to experience that again

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration