Squeak from Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Squeak from Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Hi all

Now having owned my T, 1922 runabout for a few months and getting used the driving and of course her own character i have come across a new problem at the weekend. I think I might have diagnosed to a degree but welcome any thoughts

Once warm, she runs well on batt and mag, but when I add advance and throttle say max two thirds, about 30-35 mph, I get a squeak from the engine. Now if I back of the advance the squeak starts to reduce, but its not 'pinking' that I can hear like too much advance, its a definate squeak in time with the engine.

I had a good look over the engine when I got back and noticed that there is a very small amount of oil around plug one, and wondered if the squeak could be the gasses passing the plug under compression. It was not loose, and do not want to over tighten.

Does this sound it might be the cause, maybe I could seat the tapered plug better with plumbers tape, I think its called teflon tape in the US.

All thoughts welcome, just trying to build my knowledge of my car and not any in my area to compare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:46 am:

You can also use Copper anti seize sealant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Picture of my T just because it might upload!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:22 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Thanks Mark, now hopefully this might work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Wild shot here but look to see if your timing rod is rubbing the fan belt when you advance the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Steve, that was a great call!!

I just checked (as working form home today) and between 1/4 and 3/4 it just rubs against the fan belt. I guess the rod has bent slightly over time and just got to the point where it just touches!

Good call, love this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:32 am:

From your description it sounds like a leak around a spark plug. I have successfully sealed by wrapping aluminum foil around the plug and then threading it into the head. You need something to seal it which will not insulate the current between the spark plug and the head. Try sealing the plug first, then if the squeak continues, search elsewhere.

Interestingly, I have a 22 which looks quite different from yours. See attached picture. They must have made a body change during the year.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Hi Norm

Thanks for this, it looks like the fanbelt, but will keep an eye on the slightly leaky plug and will redo over the weekend.

interesting about the car, now may over here to compare with. The car was imported in the 1980s by a friend of the montague family (beaulieu motor museum over here), single door on passenger side. The hood was remade when it was imported by a shop over here and the windscreen frame was crudely repaired, the frame seems similar to yours but the hood design is different, more wrapped around as the interior, it a velour type, not great with the british weather!

Indicators were added at the same time to pass the UK MOT which needed to be done then. The previous owner had for 30 years and added a few brass bits and bobs. Bun lights missing, have my dad looking out for some to be restored which he can bring back when next in the UK.

Their is no frame number stamped on the chassis, I think they started adding in around 1925 (but happy to be corrected!) The engine number is from 1922, so guessing its from between these two dates. Registered in the uk as a 22 probably based on that in the 80s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:07 am:

This is with roof down if gives any help in identification, daughters pink trainers really stand out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Great diagnosis, Steve :-)

TT, your turtle deck and windshield are 1923 style - they were introduced in november 1922, so if you have a late '22 engine # it's likely it's the original. And yes, frame numbers weren't introduced until december '25 during the 1926 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:33 am:

I have just double checked the register details and based on the engine number it would have been built in December 1922 so this aligns. Maybe its more original than I thought.

As an aside, is their a specific type of front and back 'bun style?' lights that she should have or are they a?ll the same?

In any event it great fun !

(Message edited by new2t on September 07, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

"A blind hog will find an acorn every now and then."

My father told me that from time to time. Perhaps I should have taken it personal!

Glad it helped! Nice car!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

TT,

Your car is for sure a 1923 Model T. The 1923 model year began September 1, 1922 and ran through the end of July 1923.

The earliest 1923 Model T engine serial number recorded is 6,344,197. The last 1923 serial number recorded is 8,122,674.

The 1923 Model T is the most common of any Model T with over two million built during the 1923 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Steve, I'm very proud of you! I can tell you've been hangin around Bill Robinson. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

haha thanks Keith!

TT - I think you have the same model I have, although mine began life as a touring car and is now a truck. It is often referred to as a "low wall" or "low radiator" 23. It is a transition body style between 22 and 23. The body is the same as a 22 as far as I know, but the windshield stanchions are swept back and made to take the "one man top."

Later in 23 they added a larger radiator, and raised the cowl. Bigger hood, slight changes to the fenders to match the apron put below the radiator.

In this same transition they went to a metal instead of a wood firewall. The metal came in before the radiator change. some of these cars have wood, some metal. Mine has wood. Which does yours have?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Keith- from your comment I can tell that you have been hanging around Ken Swan. I didn't just write that, did I? :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Unnecessary confusion regarding 1922, 1923 and 1924 Model T Ford model years.

No such thing as a "transition style between 22 and 23." It is not necessary to call any 1923 Ford "low wall" or "low radiator."

Open cars (tourings and roadsters) in basic terms:

1922 model year = two-man top, straight up and down folding windshield, two-man top. In other words, basically a repeat of the 1921 model year.

1923 model year = low radiator, low hood and low cowl (like 1917 through 1921), one man top, slant windshield and, in case of the roadster, totally redesigned trunk.

1924 model year = one man top, slant windshield, higher radiator, higher hood, higher and wider cowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:30 am:

1924: and a radiator apron. :-)

Model years are listed here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG90.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 03:41 am:

Thanks all some really useful information :-)

So basically I have a 1923 model that was probably built earlier in the production run. If the hearsay of the previous owner is correct the car was imported from Chicago and spent it life there previously, but then there is no supporting import information so this probably a nice story!

Erik, when you say one man top or two man top, what does this mean, can it be put up by one or two men? or am i just being plain daft!

(Message edited by new2t on September 08, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 04:52 am:

Bill, have to admit it's the truth! kgb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Rod adjusted no squeak !

Went out for a short run all good, my neighbours continue to think I am mad reversing up the narrow lane (its about a 20%+ climb and more in places!) this seems best way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:46 am:

TT -- Congratulations on solving the problem.

Look at Norm Kling's picture above of his '22 Runabout. You'll notice that there is a vertical top iron just aft of the door. Tourings had these as well. That is the "two-man" top. The later "one-man" tops didn't have an iron there. They were called "one-man" because they were supposedly easier to operate. It still helps to have another hand to put them up or down. :-) Runabouts are much easier than Tourings.

Regarding your '22-'23 confusion, it was common "back in the day" for states to title new cars in the calendar year in which they were sold, regardless of the manufacturer's model year designation. So your Dec. of '22 car is a '23 model according to Ford, but it probably was titled as a '22.

(Message edited by coupelet on September 08, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Mine was built in 22, is a 23 in the eyes of Ford, and it is titled a 22.

In my case though there is no history lesson to be had. It had no title when we pulled it out of the family barn where it had sat since the 30's. When I went to put a title on it I failed to notice the typo on the form I filled out for DMV...1922. Rather then try to explain it after the fact and get it changed, I just left it.

I am ever so happy to know I have a "period correct title," regardless of how I got it.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

If it's a small one you could call it PIP!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration