Model T Truck Inherited

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Truck Inherited
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Lyon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

I recently inherited a Model T truck which I believe is a 1921. I can remember my father saying it was the first year you could buy a push button start. It needs a lot of work and I really have no interest in the project. I could use some advice on what the best way of finding out a fair value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

My recollection is that 1919 was the first year that a starter was optional.

Please post some pictures here, it will help greatly with the process. The file size of each picture needs to be under 250K, here is an easy way to resize pics to get their file size under the limit:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

Post photos, look on ebay. While even with photos we can only give a ball park value it's a start. A Model T truck could be any thing from a true TT tuck to a Pickup. So we could help there to. If you have a Photobucket account or similar you could post the photos there and put the link in your post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Lyon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

Pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Lyon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Lyon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Does the engine crank over with crank?
Does it have a title?
It looks to be a TT (one ton) truck.
(not an offer to buy) I would say even if the engine is free and has title, maybe $1-2000 range could be less could be a little more. The T market is soft and even more for TT trucks. I would suggest larger photos, mow around it so you can see the wheels etc and just a general clean up. In the early 20's Ford did not supply a cab for the trucks so you built or had one built for your truck. Yours looks to be home built cab. Some photos of the cab and bed, esp the back cross member on the bed would help some. If you post the engine number, it's over the water inlet on the drivers side of the block, we can help tell you what year the engine is. Over the years engines get changed so it may or may not be the original one for the truck.
RE title; It's getting harder and harder in many states to get a title so if it does not have a clear usable title it almost is only a parts truck. If it has a title I would suggest getting it in your name. Could be a bit of work but for even the price I suggested would help in selling it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Mark S. -- Starters were available on cars in 1919, not until 1920 on the TT's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

I don't know that these are any better, but maybe they'll help a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

Could this possibly be a car converted to a truck? The running boards run the entire length of the car but I thought TT just had a short step side. (Just trying to learn about trucks not trying to start any issues)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marlene Lyon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

We have the title, I just have not received it as of yet. The engine will turn over with the crank.

How much would it cost roughly to fix up? Would I get my money back if sold afterward?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Dennis, you're right about the TT running boards. These aren't them. But the long frame and the large rear wheels with six lugs say TT.

Marlene, whether you would get your money back depends on how much fixing up you do (or have to do). If the truck is mechanically sound and doesn't need much to get it running, yes. Up to a hundred or two might do it, and a running vehicle vehicle would bring enough more than a non-running one to be worth the investment. On the other hand, if it needs a lot of cure to make it run you'd be money ahead to clean it up the best you can and sell it as is. Texas has lots of experienced and active Model T folks, some of them in the Dallas area, so I'd recommend contacting one of the local clubs and having some knowledgeable folks check it out in person to see what it needs and how much that's likely to cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

How much would it cost roughly to fix up? Would I get my money back if sold afterward?

Part 1. = unknown.

Part 2 - Probably not, as each person's idea of a "fixed up" vehicle is different.

If you can get it running for less than $100.00, yes, you'll get that money back.

(Drain the crud out of the gas tank, fresh gas, check/change oil & radiator fluid including labor.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

The rear wheels are TT. Fix it up is an very open ended question and without someone seeing it in person, no way to tell, even ball park. Chances are, no, you would not get back what you put in back as it could run into the thousands of dollars or if you mean get it running, that would help sell it, but still without someone seeing it back to the same place. While T's are somewhat simple, there are things that a regular shop would need to know when working on one. Maybe there is someone close that can give you an idea which way to go with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

The body parts from the cowl forward and including the running boards look to me like they're from a car, not a TT. Steve's enlarged pic shows something ahead of the rear wheel. I'm not sure what it is but it's in about the right place for the rear wheel of a car. Could it be that this is one of those conversion kits to make a truck from your car? ("Form-a-truck", etc.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Marlene.
Like Steve said,if you contact a club nearby, someone may be willing to come out and take a look and give you some advice.
Look on MTFCA homepage on left side under "Chapters". Closest seemed to be:

Texas Model T Speedster Club
c/o Roland Mack
11827 Fernald Ave.
Dallas, TX 75218

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Mike I think you are right. It is a form a truck. It has the chain drive to the rear wheels. And the cab is Not a Ford C Cab. The top is wrong for a C Cab. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

In almost 100 years many cars and trucks have been modified with parts from later vehicles. A starter would not indicate the year of the vehicle. My eyes might be wrong, but it looks like a high radiator. If it is a high radiator it would be 1923 or later. The chassis looks like a truck, but it could be modified with some car parts too. It looks like a good project and for all but the purist, it looks like,"what is that? Is it a Mack Truck? About a 1946?" :-)
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration