E & J Sidelight Burners Stuck! Any Ideas How to Free Them?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: E & J Sidelight Burners Stuck! Any Ideas How to Free Them?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodger Erickson on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I have two founts and burners from E&J "1908" side lights from an early T. The problem is that the collars inside the founts that the burners snap into have rusted, and now the burners are stuck. Has anyone had any success freeing these up when they stick like this? Preferably without destroying anything.

This may take more patience than I've got!

E & J Founts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Rodger, I have one stuck too, so I will be watching with interest. I don't think rust is the problem, at least not on mine, as all the components are brass.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

Try soaking with good penetrating oil or if the wick will run down into the font, maybe fill the font with the atf/acetone mix through the wick hole and let them soak for a while. The covers should pop off so you can get to the works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Rodger,

I assume the burners screw in the fonts like the John Browns so,

The three dimples you see (one just above the wick adjuster in your photo) snap the chrome top to the burner. Turn the font upside down and put a couple of drops of oil where it will run down inside where the dimples are located.

Slide a flat blade between the chrome top and the font and gently pry up by each dimple. Pop the top off and you will be able to see the collar you are trying to free. Lube as they say.

There may be a gasket between the burner and the font. Gently grab the burner where the top snapped on and twist the whole burner.

The burners are brass so don't squeeze them too hard. There is a metal baffle that is inside the font collar that may have it rusted up.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Rodger (& Ken-)
The E&J fonts have alignment pins like on a light bulb.
They turn less than 1/8 turn to the left, then come straight up.

Like the others suggest, let 'em soak.

Hope this helps.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Keith,

Thank you. I see where the E & J's can rust up inside that collar. The John Browns can be the dickens to get apart as well even though they are all brass at the connection.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:23 am:

Rodger-
Maybe try molasses or rust electrolysis?
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodger Erickson on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Keith,
The ones I have are that same setup.
I'll give it a try.
Thanks,
Rodger

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration