Rocky Mountain Brakes- missing a few parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rocky Mountain Brakes- missing a few parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 01:14 am:

I just bought my first T, a 1926 coupe. It has Rocky Mountain brakes, but on the right side, it is missing the cross-pin, a large nut, and a spring.

Where would I find these? I think I could likely make a pin and find a nut, but I am not sure where to find a spring to match the other side.

Here's a few photos of the side with the missing components. I have the long L-shaped bolt, which I have removed so that it doesn't catch on anything in the meantime.

\image
\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 01:17 am:

Rocky Mountain Brakes Missing Components

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Text description

Really struggling with this image thing, it seems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 01:22 am:

Fourth time's the charm?

Text description

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 05:11 am:

contact these people
Rocky Mountain Brake Co. Inc
39810 Bella Vista Road
Temecula, CA 92592
Phone 951-676-1746
Fax 951-694-9932
Orders 888-786-7728

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 05:15 am:

BTW your spokes look very dry if you are going to keep them "natural" I would suggest a good quality marine spar varnish or if you don't mind spending elbow grease Boiled Linseed Oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Michael

When you get the new parts from Rocky Mountain Machine, that long hex shafted lock nut is for adjusting. The cone end fits that opening in the loop. Have found that nut can back off, and loosen. May be the reason your's was missing on one side.

Fix for me is to drill hole at the end of that long nut and run safety wire in to hold it in adjustment.

Wired in place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:28 am:

G.R., thanks for the contact information, I'll give them a call.
I've been meaning to give the spokes some attention- I'll give them a few coats of BLO soon.

Dan, thanks for the great photos and advice on the safety wire. I bet that's why it's missing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

The owner of the Rocky Mountain Brake Company is Bud Willams, great guy. Give him a call, I just bought new lining for my coupe. The linings have been on the car since 1978, so time for a renewal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Michael,
The address G.R. posted above is Bud's shop-but it's nicer than my home! It's on the same property as his home. It's worth the drive up to Temecula just to meet him, see his shop, and his cars. Can pick up the parts at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Yeah, I'm in Carlsbad, so it's not a long drive to Temecula to pick up the parts. I just called and I'll be picking up the parts later this week or on the weekend.

Thanks everyone!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration