Poor mans Heater?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Poor mans Heater?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Waddell sr. on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:02 am:

This 26 Roadster PU I am working on has this under the "SUMMER" floor mat. There is another "WINTER" floor mat with the opening to allow air flow. Is this something that is commonly done ? or just some Yankee ingenuity?
By the way.. the car has an early 80's PA inspection sticker but is now in Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Waddell sr. on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:07 am:

tried to post the picture but failed.. It is a screened area in the toe board on the passenger side.picture ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Picture file size needs to be under 250K.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

My dad, who drove T's for transportation, mentioned leaving out the top floorboard to let in engine heat. I've tried that while driving with temps in the 20's in an open car. It actually works pretty good. Does your "Winter" floormat have the top few inches removed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Waddell sr. on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Another trypoor mans heater
The summer mat covers the screen. the winter mat leaves the screened area open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Would be homemade method. Is there any sheet metal under the hood to direct fresh air?

Guess in an open car, just engine bay heat would be OK, but smelly!

The commercial versions for closed cars had fresh air intakes and heated that fresh air around the exhaust manifold, or in some types, as special exhaust manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I always thought that this was the poor mans heater! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

paul! when i was 16 that worked well for me.but not any more.ha ha charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Waddell sr. on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:11 am:

No ducting under the hood. It probably worked. as long as the exhaust gasket doesn't leak! I put a manifold heater on my 31 tudor back in 1956. It only helped warm my girl friends feet.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration