Old Photo - Model T Era Auto Camp Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model T Era Auto Camp Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:43 am:

"Camping"

I thought it was a blast when I was a kid. The concept morphed into setting up
a remote camp while hunting or traveling (as opposed to returning home or using
a hotel).

Now, I know people who just simply go "live in the woods" for their weekend stim.
I fail to grasp this. Just go hang out in the woods, for all its attendant costs and
inconveniences ? Dare I ask, why ? I guess it is like golf ... no amount of explanation
is going to help me understand.

Making camp along the way makes perfect sense. Just going "out there" for the
sake of "going out there" ???

I got enough of sleeping on the ground (or cot), eating "ration" type food, going
without showers, etc. in Afghanistan, thanks.

I guess I have too many things that need to get done and I like my comfy bed ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

This looks like the same "Free Auto Camp" that Jay sent a photo of earlier.
For a great time, read the book "A Fine & Pleasant Misery" by McManus, all about camping & other diversions. Example (from memory),"The guidebooks say to cook over a glowing bed of embers, but in reality there are only two types of campfires, The Roaring Inferno and the Dead Out."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Another great photo Jay! Thank you.
And thank you David D for the chuckle! That has certainly been my experience with campfires.
I have done almost all types of camping. All the way from backpacking into the wilderness without a tent, to auto sites, cabin tents, full cabins or trailers large or small. I have always enjoyed it, but it is not one of my passions. I decided it was better to just move to a home in the woods. I have the best of camping every day, along with all the comforts of home. And the neighbors are no worse than many I have met on trails or campgrounds.

Google Earth of our home, house is right in the middle.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration