Old Photo - Edsel Ford's 1915 Touring Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Edsel Ford's 1915 Touring Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

WoW, Check out those 6 lug wire wheels. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

I wonder if those wire wheels are similar to the current wheels being manufactured by Mclaren. In any event later in the tour the wire wheels had been replaced by wood wheels. Perhaps the wire wheels got damaged by the dreadful road surfaces and all they could find were wood. I guess we will never know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Thank you Jay! I don't recall ever seeing that photo of the car before. It looks so nice and clean, fresh with the wire wheels (by far the most photographed brass era with wire wheels T of the day). Interesting that the wire wheels are demountable from the hubs, but the spare tires are not mounted on spare wheels?

I do not usually favor wire wheels on brass Ts, but must admit. They do look kind of nice on that car.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:11 am:

We had another thread recently about Edsel's cross country trip with this T. My guess is it was too difficult to clean/remove mud and clay from wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:03 am:

I believe those are referred to as "pin drive", Scott. I recently did a little work on a T with a set of Pasco Wire Wheels which were "pin drive" and there are 2 attachment lock nuts on each wheel - outer & inner and they both rotated in opposite directions. There were several different methods of attaching the wire wheel to the hub - "dental" was another - there was an article printed up in the Vintage Ford years ago referencing several manufacturers of accessory wires and the hub attachment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Do you think there would be a problem with carrying around a rifle accessible to the driver now? I think you might be properly equipped for a modern highway, the young-uns might think twice before messing with a slow older driver!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Edsel's '15 does seem to have these wheels.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration