'26 floorboard question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '26 floorboard question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

The slot where the brake lever goes through the floorboard is missing a piece. How was that attached the the rest of the floorboard? The metal surround for the brake lever is a repro.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

This is a rebuild of a typical floorboard on a '27 Fordor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

William

That metal surround you have is '25 and earlier.

The '26-'27 uses a longer one as pictured by Don, and its bent at the front edge to fit to the riser of the heed board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Here's my 26 coupe floorboards.

26 Coupe Floorboards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Sorry, my usual browser isn't letting me upload photos.

26 floorboards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:02 am:

Here is the floorboard as it exists. I guess I will have to find the 26-27 surround somewhere. Are they available?floorboards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Hi William,

What body style are you working on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:49 am:

The available repro part for 26/27 looks a lot like the one you already have:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3633D.aspx
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/brake-trim-plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

I don't think I would worry about the floor boards until the body was on and fitted. You may find yourself doing it twice otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

I own a numbers-matching '26 Fordor with original floorboards that still have that end piece. Looking right at it, it's still hard to see how they went about this. The center ply of the three-ply wood to the left of the brake lever hole is a single piece of wood, 1/4" x 3/4" x 9-3/4" that spans the rear planks. There's no evidence of brads. It appears to be glued together. The end photo looks as if they did a dado cut through the ends of the floorboards to assemble the thing. It seems like a lot of work to save buying a new solid piece of wood and just cutting out the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

The body is almost ready to be fitted so I thought I would work on this.Boby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Bruce thanks so much! It looks from your photo that they ran a spline perpendicular to the boards to hold that little piece. What you think is a ply is actually a separate piece that was probably glued. I can see that the metal piece is much larger than the repro piece that I have. Anyone out there have that metal piece for sale? Great photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Bill Harper I am working n a '26 roadster which I bought in 1955 in Augusta, Georgia for $50. I thought I could drive it back to Philadelphia. How naive. After I first drove it in Georgia I noticed that the front end play was about a foot from side to side. I was going to make it into a hot rod. It sat in Georgia for a couple of years at my brother's house. Brought it to Philly where is sat in my parent's garage. Took it apart. Had the engine rebuilt by George Maderia of Philadelphia. Worked on it a little bit; bought some nos parts and then brought it up to our place in Maine about 1977. Dittled with it then for about a year. Didn't get back to it until two years ago when I finished the running gear and got to drive it for the second time in over 50 years. Now it is in a local shop in Searsmont, Maine getting the body done. I'm helping the shop man when I can besides throwing dollars at. It's starting to look like something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

There were two different floor boards used for 26-27. The Coupe, Touring and Roadster used the style William Brown has. The back corners of the main floor board are rounded. The small board attached to the main board with the under floor brackets does not have a notch for the hand brake. This style floor board uses the shorter 1926 - 1927 style trim plate exactly as shown in the photo.

The 26 - 27 Fordor used an entirely different floor board set. These floor boards are a carry over from the 1923 - 1925 style. The #1 and #2 boards (the ones with the pedal slots) were modified to accommodate the new 27-27 style cowl, but the main floor board assembly remained the same as the 24-25. This is the style shown by Bruce Spainhower. These boards have square corners on the main floor board. The small board has a notch in it for the hand brake. These boards use the earlier longer style trim plate which extends over the small board.

All of the floor boards at this time were made from random width solid hardwood. Some used a tongue and groove joint where the boards are glued up to make a wider piece but usually by this time they were using a dovetail style joint. A groove was cut along the edge of the floor board and a spline was glued in place to help minimize the warping. The opening for the hand brake was just a slot with a rounded end. There is nothing to support that little strip of wood on the outside of the handbrake slot which makes it easy to break that piece off. It appears that your floor board was glued up from smaller pieces. That would mean that the only thing holding that piece on was the glue joint and the spline.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Thanks David, that explains a lot. Great info.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration