Wood wheels , help me out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wood wheels , help me out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Sunday's drive in the 23 coupe was fun. My wife heard a little clink noise, and again a few blocks later didn't pay much attention to it . Monday I thought that I would check everything and see if any thing is amiss. I noticed that the left rear wheel was only being held on by two bolts. I took the rear wheel assembly hub and all off, and seen there was only one bolt actually hold it together. My question is after I install the new nuts and bolts , should I put lock tight one the threads, or is there another way to keep the bolts tight ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

I take a punch and hammer between the threads of the nut and bolt to mash a dimple in them. That's after they are good and tight of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

The bolts should be peened after the nuts are tight.
At some point you may need to tighten the nuts again, if you use lock tight you couldn't do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

This is how I did my wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Same here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

John, is there a chance you recently changed your rear brakes to new lined pads? Is there a chance the pads are somehow hitting those nuts while you're driving? I had a very similar thing happen on my touring car a few years ago and found the brake pads needed some clearance ground into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:28 am:

I did use the new brake linings with the padding and I did have to grind the shoes a small amount for clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:33 am:

Thank you for your response. I remember how surprised I was to find it was the cause of the nuts backing off in my wheels. They had been staked but apparently they couldn't hold up to hitting the brake shoe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Here's another example of a close call. This was a newly re-spoked wheel. Kanab Tour several years ago. Wheels should be checked often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

I did an emergency repair on a rear wheel that had become very loose on a tour. I found the problem at the lunch stop with a hardware store across the road. I had a wheel puller in the car and pulled the wheel off the axle. The hardware store did not have the correct length bolts, but they did have some longer ones. I did a temporary repair by inserting the bolts in from the rear with the nuts showing to the outside. That did not look that great, but it did let me finish the tour, but I did miss lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Also check demountable rim lug nuts often, they can loosen up and back off. I found one loose by several turns the other day while I was cleaning my wheels. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Factory peening looks just like John's new today method.

Original wood wheel coming apart to save the hub, spokes now gone beyond repair. Hammer peen is tough to wrench off the nut, most times the old rusted bolt breaks off before the peened nut will turn! That is what you want on hub bolts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration