OT - Black Model T(s) needed for film shoot Oct 5th in Salt Lake City, UT pays $500 .... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Black Model T(s) needed for film shoot Oct 5th in Salt Lake City, UT pays $500 .... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Got a call today.

Period film shooting just outside of Salt Lake City, UT needs black Model T cars for one day on October 5th.

Pays $500 - trailer service available.

PM me or send me an email ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:49 am:

I won't be there, but for the benefit of those that will, what year does the story take place. I hesitate to tell you the obvious, for you are a long time poster with plenty of experience in Model T's but, here goes.

For historical accuracy, you should specify the year cars you need for this "period shoot". It wouldn't do for a 1926 Model T to show up for a story taking place in 1913, for Model T's made from 1909 to 1913 had only brass radiators and brass lights. Anyone, versed in history would notice the inconsistency with history. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:05 am:

Maybe they don't care they just want a Model T so they are asking for a "black Model T" The vast majority of viewers don't care if it's a 1926 car set in 1913 to them it's just an old car. If it's only a one day shoot then it's probable not a big production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:27 am:

Unless it is a TT, a 26 or 27 is NOT a black T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:39 am:

Your probably right Mark, but he did say he got a call today for a period film shooting, which denotes a certain period in time from 1908 to 1927, which is a big difference in dress and appearance. Apparently, whoever called Freighter Jim, considers him a certain authority on the subject and is probably depending on him to put out a call for the appropriate and correct black Model T cars for the "period" they have in mind. Even if it is a one day shoot for a local commercial, I'm sure the customer would like for it to be as historically accurate as possible. I'd just hate to hear that someone drove their 1927 Model T a hundred miles, only to be turned away because it was not correct for the period. Just a thought. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:37 am:

That would be fun! But a little far for me to go. I should think about this for a few days.

Talking about using the right cars in films. In the late '60s and early '70s, there were quite few period pieces set in the '20s and '30s. I don't recall which one it was, but a whole bunch of us model T guys went to see one of them, the setting is the mid '30s. In a major scene in the movie, they were in an auto court camp (like a couple of threads currently running on this forum showing original era photos of these places.
The auto court is well populated by a few late '20s cars, model A Fords, a V8 Ford or two, all looking just fine, and a bit dusty. Parked alongside one of the cabins, is the most beautiful 1911/12 touring with gleaming brass and brilliant white tires!
It really ruined the scene for our group.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:50 am:

The following links should take you to the current discussions of auto courts and camps.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/569325.html?1441725941

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/569345.html?1441766301

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/569329.html?1441743697

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/568295.html?1441648006

Sorry for the thread drift. Back to getting your T into the movies! Maybe.
How many Ts do they want?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:39 am:

The US Model T black era is 1914-25. Maybe 1918-25 if some closed cars were painted in green later than 1914 as some documents indicates. If the movie is set in say, 1920, very few would notice if a few 1921-25 T's also were seen.
That's the privilege of being special interested in a small topic - you can recognise details that most viewers wouldn't see (and wouldn't care much about)

(Message edited by Roger K on September 09, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I may be completely off base, but the request could have been made by someone who wanted antique cars black in color with out any knowledge of what a "black" Model T means to us collectors of Model T's?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:13 am:

No matter what year what color is the contract which spell's out all the what if's!! A Good Friend let a certain bunch use his model T which was wrecked!!!!!!!! After seeing how my Friend and his T were treated,i would NOT!!!!!!!!! Bud,Still in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

The 1927 roadster I owned at one time was an all original T and had a black radiator shell and wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Yes there were exceptions. Original paint found on my 1926 coupe, built in March of 1926, indicate that it was originally black, so I restored it in black. I later discussed this with Bruce McCalley who concurred that there were cases, especially in the changeover from the all black Model T's of 1925 and the colored T's of 1926, when, in 1926, they still had a lot of unused black paint that had to be used. Also, the assembly lines moved 24/7 and those in charge of keeping the line moving weren't going to let a small thing like a shortage of a certain color of paint, stop the line. They simply used the colors they had and they always had an abundance of black which was used on the chassis, differential, axles, springs, fenders, splash shields and running boards. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

I am just trying to get owners of black Model T cars in the Salt Lake City area some extra money ..

I am not making anything - just helping out.

So if you own a black Model T of any year & are interested then contact me ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Depends on what the production is. Someone told me once that they are less concerned about absolute chronological accuracy if it's for TV than they are if it's for the big screen. NBC shot part of its mini-series A Will Of Their Own in the St. Louis area and a few other T guys and other old car owners were in the film. My 1924 Touring was in a 1914 scene and a couple in 1918 or 1919. No one seemed bothered about it. Those of us who had cars in the film also were costumed and drove our own cars, so we were paid for the cars and also as extras. I really liked the guy from the production company who was in charge of all vehicles. He made it clear that his drivers were to eat with the cast and crew, not with the extras. That meant we ate sooner and had better food.

Being in the production made me more aware of what happened and after that I found myself watching movies differently. I paid more attention to the background action. In 1997, the Dutch film Karakter won the Oscar for best foreign film so it was shown in theatres here. In a scene that was set in 1924, I saw a 1926/27 Model T Touring drive through the scene. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Remember the "Roots" TV series? When they got to post WWII shots as they drove across the country you could see modern cars parked on the cross streets they drove past. At first I thought it was bad enough that the trains had modern boxcars, but then I spotted the modern automobiles!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration