Old Photo - Dual Rajo Engined Speedster - From Standing start to 70 Miles An Hour In 600 Feet!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Dual Rajo Engined Speedster - From Standing start to 70 Miles An Hour In 600 Feet!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:57 am:

There must have have been a helper that sat between the engines to operate the front set of pedals! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:17 am:

That was probably meant as a joke..... Just leave the bands out of the front power unit and couple the two crankshafts. I remember there was one in Az a couple of years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Where is this car NOW ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:30 am:

The world's First Drag car! Read the writing on the photo.

I believe the photo is part of the Rajo Collection.

Was it McVean may who designed the first Rocker covers for Rajo heads? Prior to that they came out new without covers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:38 am:

Yes it was McVean who made the first Rocker Covers for Rajo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 07:51 am:

two Radiators and I wonder how anyone could see that front motometer while in operation :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 07:58 am:

You don't need brake or reverse on the front trans. The bands could come out. It would be handy to have H-N-L though. Use N to start the front engine first, use L to start the rear engine with the front engine. From there, it's H on the front all the time to couple the engines one-to-one. The rear trans would take over drivetrain duties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Remove the bands, shorten the Hand Brake lever start front engine with brake lever in vertical when it is warmed up slowly allow the clutch to engage that starts second engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:06 am:

There is a dual engine T speedster (dragster?) at the Smith Museum of Speed in Lincoln Neb. I believe it has dual Rajo's. I was there yesterday but did not take a picture of that particular car. BTW that museum has by far the best organization and display of car and related "stuff" I have ever seen in any museum I have stopped at. Remarkable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mahlon hawker on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Why not treat that assembly as one straight eight engine? With the front engine's high speed clutch permanently engaged whatever one engine does the other must follow along. The rear engine's transmission remains fully functional for LNH purposes. Cranking the front engine also cranks the rear one. Electric starters hopefully? Use both engines starters together from the same switch.

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:51 am:

John Steele is now building a twin-engine speedster. How are you coming on that, John? Got any pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Can't wait to see that Speedster in 2 years in Nebraska. Rob might have some competition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Here is a picture of the oilers cc/craftsman tools build for the Race of Gentleman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Interesting photos. I do like the idea of using the clutch between the two engines. Have you ever tried to hand crank a big displacement engine? I hand cranked a Pierce Arrow six one time.

When was that Craftsman race held?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Somehow the 70mph in 600 ft seems a little hard to swallow with drag strips being 1320 ft long and back in the 50s, stock cars didn't do a lot better. Also those narrow tires would not have a lot of traction.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Somebody will just have to build one and see how realistic those numbers are...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Tim -- See my post six clicks above. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

There have been a number of these built. Having a transmission between the two engines would complicate things needlessly. I remember there was one featured in one of the period publications, using a single 8 cylinder distributor. I would think that you would have to orient the front and rear cranks' rod throws at ninety degrees apart? It was said that "No more than the usual trouble was experienced from the Ford rear end"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

70mph in 600 ft may be feasible. It would take about 75hp at the wheels assuming that car weighs around 1400lbs according to the 1/8mi racing calculator here: http://wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph-8th.php

1/8mi is 660ft which should be close enough for ballpark estimates here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

With my truck, I am able to hit 0-to-18 in 100 ft. Howzzat ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 03:58 am:

Mike, is that Jessie Combs picture in the corner? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 06:26 am:

Hopefully when Rob Heyen is ready to move on from the K (only a matter of time now being that he's done 70mph), he will set about recreating this car and trying to achieve those performance figures. We're waiting Rob...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

I found the original Add I was looking for. McVean selling their patterns for Rajo Rocker Covers. They are also closing down their garage so the engines from the twin engine racer could be those advertised.

Thanks To Jarvis Erickson and Kem Robinson for these adds.

David, you might like to put this photo on your site.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

David, yes that is Jessi Combs in the pic. She's a former hostess of "Extreme Offroad". She's a damn good mechanic. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 01:08 am:

I would like to know how the steering was set up. It's a long way from the end of the column to the front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 02:15 am:

Don, I thought so. I've enjoyed watching her (and several other ladies) in several automotive type shows. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration