What car do you wish was still being made today?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What car do you wish was still being made today?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:47 am:

I am a big fan of classic movies especially 40s film noir. The 1940 Ford Deluxe Opera Coupe would be at the top of my list.

http://blog.autopartswarehouse.com/2015/09/cars-we-wish-were-still-made-today/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Well, the 1940 Ford coupe is still being made - at least the body :-)
http://dennis-carpenter.com/1940FordCoupeBody.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:55 am:

That looks good. They want $15,000 for the shell without front fenders and hood. It needs paint, interior, engine, trans and a frame.

I can get the complete car for at least $16,000. I would leave it as is just fix the rust and check the mechanics.

If I had $17,000 laying around I would seriously consider it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-deluxe-/121747310403?forcerrptr=true&hash=ite m1c58b48743&item=121747310403

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Not that I could afford it, but...

and...

and of course...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

WOW... What's that first car called.. I have to get me one of those, or two..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart. Bakersfield, Calif. on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

The Crosley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Volvo P220

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Easy........De Lorean!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Concur with Steve on Packards, but would also like to see:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

A couple that were very good to us..

Drove it 70,000 miles and traded it in for $500 less than we paid.

The touch screen was way ahead of it's time

This one belonged to my mother-in-law and it should have never never been made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

I'd like to buy a brand new 1965 Chevy C10 long bed. I would like a new truck but don't want to pay 40k for one that's loaded with crap I don't want or need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

72 Chevy stepside short bed 396 4 speed, Radio, A/C not needed :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

1969 GTO Judge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

BTW Mike Conte - this is a GREAT thread!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

There were lots of really cool cars over the years. I think if I had to pick one, a Packard like the one in the photo Steve posted above would certainly make my short list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

For a daily-driver, I'd like a NEW 1995 Chevy Caprice station wagon.

For a hobby car, I like that none of these classic cars are available new. If they were still made new, they wouldn't be so "special".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Ford Falcon Ranchero

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

Almost any Model A! We had a brand new 71 vw bug and it was the worst car i ever owned!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

I bought a couple used but identical 1970 Buick LeSaber 2-doors in the mid-'80's,....one with a great engine (350 cu.in. & 350 turbo hydramatic) and only 62,000 miles on it, but terribly rusted out body from the midwest, and a couple years later, an identical west coast car with a perfect body an a blown engine. Paid $100 for each one and as a sort of learning experience for my two youngest sons, swapped engines which made a great car out of the one with the clean body. Sure would have liked to have had either of those cars brand new! Great car,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

1948 Tucker. Would make a great modern driver. For what I'd like to own, a late Doble, perhaps a roadster, but a touring car would be OK too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

I think everyone should have a Dort!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

My first car, Grandpa's '70 Buick Le Sabre Custom 2 dr. hard top. Burgundy Mist Metallic with a Saddle Tan interior.

Harold, I know what you mean. Southern California car all it's life. Rusted out around the back window and didn't have a vinyl top. Still a great car except during the gas shortage of '79.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Here you go Kevin this 62 is in my stable. Jim

Jimranchero

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Oh and I forgot, what I wish they still made today a Ford Ranger. Those F-150's are just too big! Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

'49 Merc convertible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Maybe Dennis Carpenter will make a 32 Roadster body like the 40 Coupe he makes!

If you think about it the 40 Coupe body isn't a bad deal since all you have to do is put it together and paint it.
Buts that's if you have a completed chassis already. Finding a decent 40 Coupe body that's not eaten up with rust is getting pretty hard these days. And when you do they aren't cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Volkswagen diesel pickup- an El Cabunio. 50 MPG out of the box with no turbo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

A 26-27 Model t chassis hearse, with instructions in my will that it will be used to carry me to my final resting place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

1936 Hudson Terraplane Coupe

’36 Hudson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

I gotta' admit, Burger, that's one classy automobile. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William M Brown on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

This would be my choice.Roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

I owned two modern cars that were really outstanding; an '89 Ford Probe GT
with a no-lag turbocharger and an intercooler.
In its day, it looked like nothing else on the road.

It had a nice, crisp 5-speed manual, lots and lots of power, got about 30 mpg,
handled like a sports car and even had an enormous trunk.
What a fun car that was!

The other was a more grown-up family car, a 2000 Olds Intrigue which I still have
and I wish I could buy another just like it.

It's ridiculously comfortable, has terrific cockpit visibility, huge side-view mirrors,
and a Bose sound system. It's a great highway cruiser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:04 am:

1932 Duesenberg. In my humble opinion, the finest, most elegant car ever made. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:57 am:

Another view of a Duesy. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:34 am:

I think the '34 Fords were the most beautiful Fords ever built, especially the "Vicky". JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:51 am:

Now there are a lot of Model A and B ford bodies available, I wouldn't mind if 26/27 runabout bodies also were available in steel :-)

Then a new 1950 VW would be nice in the winter when it's too cold to drive Model T's :-)

'50 VW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 06:47 am:

A number of Fords and Mercs from 1965 on back, but you can still find most. Ones you cant find easy would be 46 thru 48 Ford and Merc Sportsman wood body convertibles. Another would be late 20s Lincoln Phaetons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Any VW bug or microbus 1967 or earlier equipped with the 1500 or 1600 engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

VW lost me when they went to the larger tail lights around 1960.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

1941 Buick Roadmaster Ragtop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

I could do this all night.

57 Nomad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:04 am:

1940 Packard Darrin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:17 am:

OK, I will quit after this.

56 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:44 am:

OK, I lied. One more...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:24 am:

1957 Buick...Best car I ever owned...I was a Lieutenant in the AF when I owned this car. My payments were a whopping $100.00 a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:44 am:

the Packard-Darrins were fabulous looking cars, but they were lead sleds, Darrin was a terrible engineer, had to add angle iron to the cowl/firewall to keep the doors lined up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:58 am:

"I could do this all night."

No question, there are many. And with what cars have become since 1970,
it is hard not to like almost anything that came before.

Hal, what did you like about your 57 Buick ? I had a lot of 58-60 Buicks, but
never really got into the 57's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:19 am:

Too numerous to list but I figure all of them would have been "safetied" out of existence years ago any way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:30 am:

I am wearing my helmet now. You should too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:04 am:

One more. I had one the first time I moved to Colorado in 1980. It was blast to drive and a pain to maintain with splined wire wheels with knock offs, dual SU carbs and a Lucus electric system! Last year of chrome bumpers and mine was RED. I wish I still had it. I sold it when I got married. Should have kept the car and said I don't.

1974 MGB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:35 am:

I have an 82 Vw rabbit diesel... those were half-million mile cars. Id love to have a brand new one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Here's a few. Myself and Aaron Griffey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Burger in Spokane, It rode like a dream, would set you back in the seat when U tromped on it at 100, it was pretty and it was a real chick magnet. It got me married. If I could have kept it, it's value today would be way up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 03:26 am:

Hal,

By the time I had my fin-era Buicks, owning fins was on par with soiling oneself
when it came to attracting chicks ! I too got married, but it was in spite of the fins !

Yes, they sure did ride like a cloud.

Acceleration was decent on the 4bbl models, especially when you consider it got
channeled through a Dynaflow !

I sold my Buicks when the market was stupid high in 1989. They had been sitting
for years. My interest had gone to Forward Look Mopars. I wish I had the means
to warehouse many of the cars I had pass through my hands. I would be a wealthy
so-n-so.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration