OT - What is IT?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - What is IT?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Does anyone recognize this device in the lower left on the pole or know what it might be used for?

Perhaps it is purely coincidental that a friends computer stopped working on the day it was installed.

Perhaps it produces Radio Frequency Interference.

Perhaps if I knew more about it, I could eliminate my suspicions.

Whatsit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Whatever it is, this guy is prepared for it! :-O

hat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Ask Mike Zahorik, he will probably know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Guess is it's a 'smart' receiver of some type.

Similar on Google images is described as a wireless smart e- meter reader.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Big Brother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Minneapolis has a city-wide high-speed broadband wireless internet service "USI Wireless" that we can subscribe to instead of using the phone or cable company for our internet service provider.

We have similar looking devices on utility poles all over the City of Minneapolis for the wireless network.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on September 09, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Yeah! Okay Erik! You're obviously involved with the coverup! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Has the Power Company in your area installed "Smart Meters"? That looks like a microwave unit that links the "Smart Meters" to the Power Company. I would bet that that is what it is (Replacing the meter readers and thereby saving the utility $$$$$)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:43 am:

Are you able to contact the mothership ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:03 am:

So many things it could be. Smart meters is a possibility, power grid monitoring for instant repair dispatch is another one. Wifi is also possible. After so many years doing cutting edge RF technology, it is hard to believe it has been eight years since I got out of it. A lot has changed since then.
If that is the antenna hanging down? The length would indicate frequency just below UHF broadcast frequencies, about 350 to 400 mHz. Now if only I still had the spectrum analyzer.
Drive carefully, and wear your aluminum hat! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 07:59 am:

What species of tree was used in the utility pole in Dan's picture? Really odd pattern on the surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 08:08 am:

Woodpecker damage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:50 am:

I think Wayne has it right that it is a power grid monitoring device. Notice that only 2 wires are going up to the transformer that has the 3 connections on it so it would seem to be a device with no other connection other than 125V AC power and those are very small wires up near the end where it taps off the transformer. I think those are some "breakers" up above the transformer so the device I think may be some sort of radio which allows a central monitoring system to quickly determine where a power grid piece is "down". My power to my residence comes down the street overhead in a rural area and when something trips it out (usually a tree limb) and it happens at night, it takes at least 45 minutes to restore it. I watch the power trucks come to each pole along the way that has a breaker. They then shine a light up there to see if the breaker is tripped or not. Most of the cable in our general area is buried but I am one of the "lucky" few that get power from the last overhead line in town. Tree limbs cooperate with the power line failure mode by agreeing never to fall and hit anything except at night just after sundown when the best football game is on. Usually power is restored within minutes after the game is over. At night this radio thing (if that is what it is) would save a ton of time since the truck could be dispatched immediately to the start of the dead leg of the power grid unless of course the truck team is watching the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Gunshot triangulator to find origin of gunshots?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:15 am:

In that case use a crossbow...Much quieter, just be sure to wear gloves and a tin cap!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:58 am:

'Back to the Future'??? (Watch for the DeLorean!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Hi John, The solution to your power loss during football games is easy. Purchase a Generac full-house backup generator. Installed, it will cost about $4,500. After you install it, you will most likely never have a grid-related power failure again. This has worked for us for the last 10 years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

John - My knowledge of "things electric" is very limited for sure, but I always equate power poles, cross arms and such to civil war technology,.....harold

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration