Way OT Egypt Desert mystery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Way OT Egypt Desert mystery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Came across this when using Google Earth on the remote Egypt desert. There are several hundreds of some kind of black fuzzy object laid in rows and in small and large groups. This is only a small sample. Use co-ords at bottom of pic to home in on them.
ET eggs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Something left by The Afrika Korps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Thought about that at first but I think it's too far south from WW II action area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Gary, when I first read your post, I thought, perhaps Ol' Gary needs a hobby. Then I started thinking about how much fun it would be to find something laying out in the desert that presented some kind of a mystery. My only current hobby is my Model T's and though they keep my mind occupied about 90% of the time (I don't have a wife to upset the serenity) I think I'm going to try a little Google Earth surfing of my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

I think it is water or oil, there is a pond to the east of these coordinates. It looks like they have been digging slit trenches, the lack of vegetation leads me to believe that if it is water, it is not any good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Bedouins drying their laundry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Weapons of Mass Destruction finally revealed

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:14 am:

I don't know exactly where this is at, but it appears to be an ancient stone quarry. The layout is pretty consistent with the way the Egyptians mined limestone for building blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:25 am:

It lines up with ridges in sand. Note to the right side of the picture there is a circular impression with a round black deposit in it. I think it is the remains of something black which was blowing in the wind and got caught on the ridges of the sand. Perhaps some type of charcoal or maybe volcanic ash which was carried in from another location. Someone on the ground could explore the area to determine just what it is.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

One of you that is so interested should drive your Model T out there and check it out.
That would make it T related and give you full permission to post it here.
Take pictures of the impressions and your T and post them here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

A bit more info:
Objects are 100 to 300 feet long.
Area is about 2 by 4 miles.
Location is 230 miles SSE of Alexandria.
Minimal traces of roads or trails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

A bit closer view of one area. Yellow line was a measurement (about 150 feet).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Remember, that northern Africa was wetter and more productive and was considered the bread-basket of the Roman Empire. What is now empty desert, might very well have been a fairly habitable area 2k years ago. Take a close look at the pics of ancient quarries and the resemblance is striking. Since Alexandria was at the center of several massive building programs over the centuries as it was an important commercial and cultural center, it would be logical that it could easily be a quarry for building materials. Its location that far south of Alexandria would have precluded it being part of the Alamein line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Also, remember that the shifting sands of that region have been burying and exposing monuments for thousands of years. Many of the major sites we know today were lost or unknown a few hundred years ago. It has been theorized that there are probably dozens of more lost sites yet to be exposed or found. If this was an ancient quarry, which I would guess as likely from the pattern, there could be something else nearby about to show up? Or perhaps it is being buried deeper?
Interesting. This is by far my favorite site on the web. And for more than just the model Ts that I love.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration