Reproduction Axles.... Hows the quality?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Reproduction Axles.... Hows the quality?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:50 am:

A few years back, I think during the coast-to-coast tour, I recall hearing issues about some premature failures of new, repro axles. I didn't pay close attention to the news about all that so my information is limited. Was there any truth to the early failures being related to the axles themselves? In any event, I'm curious to know how the reproduction axles currently being produced perform? I have a rear-axle assembly that I'm getting ready to tackle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Too the best of my knowledge, there are two different manufacturers. One is American made and run about $130 to $140. The other is of a newer manufacturer, cheaper price and probably made overseas, but I don't know this for sure. I have only used the American made ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:01 am:

Thanks Andy. Can you tell me the name of the American made company?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Mark Auto makes a standard Ford Axle. Snyder's makes a new 1/16 inch longer axle. We use to make a 1/16 inch longer axle that was harder but haven't made any more for several years. I am not sure where Mark and Snyder's axles are made. Call them and ask. Both are very nice axles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Glen,

Forgive my ignorance. Why would you want an axle that's 1/16 inch longer? Is it to forever avoid the need to shim the wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

I think the Snyder axles are made in Detroit.
The axles in question on the O2O trip were flaking onto the bearing, there was a lot of negative reporting on here, those axles are still going in the truck of the person who made them and he travels a lot of miles.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Henry, Yes, it is for use with hubs with worn axle taper holes or 26-27 Rocky Mountain Brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Also, the longer axles help keep the rear outside seals from getting chewed up by the keyways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

From what I remember the bad axles were a temporary glitch a few years ago. I bought one and it scratched very easy. Those I've purchase since have all be OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

Henry, The longer axles are to help overcome the problem of original hub tapers being worn. Thru the years the tapers have worn enough to allow the brake drums to drag on the backing plates, bolts, ect, and as Les states also tear up the seals. The longer axle takes care of the worn hub problem and does not cause any problems if your hubs are not worn. Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

The longer axles do NOT take care of the worn hub problem. You will still have worn hubs. Worn hubs have misshapen tapers that will not seat correctly on your new axles. If you have worn hubs, they need to be replaced.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration