OFF topic, who was the bug man on here?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OFF topic, who was the bug man on here?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I need professional advice or at least help from someone smarter than me.
A guy brought in a couple lawnmowers and they had flea eggs apparently in the grass clippings.

Within a few days,my dogs were really scratching and I have gotten a couple on my pants and such when trying to feed them.
I bathed the dogs on Aug 30 and they had alot on them.I used Hartz ultra gaurd on them and another topical I picked up at dollar general that has a different chemical in it. The strange thing is the dogs are not scratching and do not seem to be in a bit of distress now that I applied that stuff.
The dog lot,I have sprayed it with a 3 gallon sprayer at least once,sometimes twice a day since the 30th with a mixture of Permethrin 10,Triazicide and liquid Seven. Monday I went to Southern states and talked with the lady there and she sold me some Martins IGR. Which I have read about here on the net.So Since monday I have sprayed the dog lot with that stuff,mixed in with the other 3 items listed above at least once a day if not twice.
Now,in the shop,i have sprayed the 3 listed items twice a day all over the concrete,the fabric chairs,under benchs. I have also went back with the smaller sprayer with the IGR and the other 3 chemicals in it at least once a day.
Once I spray in the mornings I can walk in the dog lot,pet my dogs,water and feed them and don't bring any out with me. Next morning I check before spraying and bring 1 or 2 out on my britches so I spray again.
I have sprayed all around the house also to prevent problems. I have also put a electric trap in the room I stay in and sadly it has caught 3 in the past 12 days.
I have been doing some other stuff like spraying Deet on my britches the past couple days just to keep peace of mind.
What I dont understand is I am spraying chemicals that say on the bottle,Spray once a month,spray each 3 months and so on at least once a day without result.WHY? :-(
I am getting to the point I am about a nervous wreck. My dogs sit down there in the lot wondering why I am not bringing them to the shop to play ball and such.I am just afraid of these dang fleas getting out of hand worse then they already are.
I know there is 1 member here I think that does bug control. If I could get some help and advice it would be great as I would like to get this subject off my mind and get back to my old cars and repairing lawnmowers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Mack,

Your best bet is to contact a local pest control company and pay for a full service at your home & shop.

They will power spray the yard & treat the shop as well.

You have an infestation.

Dollar Store is not the way to go ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

I can't vouch for this but a friend swears that diatomaceaous earth is the only safe way to get rid of fleas and crawling bugs around the house.
I figure that when the bugs see the name of the stuff they die of freight! :-)

look at this web site--

http://eartheasy.com/non-toxic-pest-control/indoor/insect-dust-diatomaceous-eart h-4-4-lb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Mack,
I sent you a PM.

Good Luck !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

DANG.....You can learn a lot of stuff on this site....(Fred)
It's not just for "Paintin' Spokes N' Takin' off Waterpumps" anymore...I mean this in a good way..!!
Good luck with your fleas Mack...Lots a good ideas here...
Carl...
A 26 Touring on the horizon ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Diatomaceous earth can be picked up at Home Depot.
This stuff really works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

like Fred said diatomaceous earth seems to work I got 25 pounds at A swimming pool place for I think $8.00 I used it like flea powder and rubbed it on dogs coat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

thanks folks,I just aint in a postion to spend 1000's on this.I wish I could.The earth thing is affordable and I will go get some of that this evening.
I called my buddy and he had a similar problem and his vet put his dogs on Comfortis and within a short time the 2 acres,the dogs,everything was flea free.
I called my vet and it is going to be 120 per dog for 6 months supply plus the vet visit and such.
If I could just get things to a point I can get some funds together after I finish some equipment repairs,I am figuring taking 1 dog and then share the pills till I can take the next dog in 3 months.then it will be winter and perhaps I can have a perscribtion for the stuff and get it online or something.
It just bugs me that all this stuff I am using says it works in 1 spraying and it aint.
What research I have done says you have to interrupt their life cycle. Well I am killing the crap out of all the hatched 1/s, and the IGR should be taking care of other issues,so it would appear I should be getting results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Mack, the diatomaceous earth works well. It will not hurt your animal just try and keep from getting their lung full(and yours). If you get the food grade type that is recommended you can even sprinkle it on their food for tape worm treatment. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

It's been a bad year for fleas. My wife has a small kennel and does a bit of grooming. So flea control is an ongoing thing. Be sure to get food grade Diatomaceous Earth. Other than DE there is not much you can buy over the counter that works well on fleas. Best bet is to use Advantage or other similar product on the dogs. Sent you a PM on this.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

We had much the same problem and tried DE and a lot of other things. We finally took the dog to the vet and got a prescription for Comfortus. The fleas died within a couple of hours and we haven't had any problem with them since. When the Comfortus ran out we got a prescription for Trifexis which is like the other medicine but kills heart worms and other critters too. Costs about $26 a pill though. Our dog plays with other untreated dogs and runs free in the woods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Another thing you might consider for after you get rid of the fleas would be to feed your four footed kids a tablet made of Brewers yeast and garlic. We fed our dogs one of these pills every other day and had not a flea or tick once the pill had been used to the pill, they would not eat their dog food unless there was a pill in their food.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Thanks folks. i checked the local stores for the D' earth and no one had it. So I guess when I go for breakfast in the morning I will go to the Big town and get some.

I went to get the dogs out of the lot and put them in the shop for a while. I got 2 on my britches.
I went to the dog lot and flipped over the dog houses and such and removed food,and I mixed some Hartz complete I think it is,in with a gallon of what was left of the other 3 chemicals in the sprayer and finished it back up with water.I sprayed under the dog houses with both the IGR and the big sprayer full of stuff, then flipped them back over,and sprayed the lot,then put in cedar shavings for the third time this week,and sprayed again and then sprayed withe the IGR.
Then I applied some more Hartz ultra guard as that is what I had on hand to the dogs . I did not get a flea on me the whole time I was working in the lot,but I got 1 on me when I was leading the dogs back to it,so there are still some hikers on them i guess. I got paid today for some work,I may carry 1 to the vet 1 day next week if jury duty doesn't tie me down.:-(
I have goggled this issue to death and it hard to get a straight,experienced answer.Most write up's push a certain chemical or a natural treatment.Which i am sure works to but perhaps best for maintenance. I have been spraying the dogs with clove and something else extract to.I am trying to get rid of them fleas.

But to be honest,I think the shop is ok. I think the only time I have any in there is when the dogs are in there.And maby the chair 1 of them sits in.So I have been spraying that hard and I have sprayed the shop twice today just for good measure.
To tell you how much this bugs me,I typed in Fleas for my username! :o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

I thought 26 bucks a pill was high but I thought about how much stuff I have sprayed and the running I have done and the worry,It aint to bad after all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Dawn dishwashing soap Mack, it kills them every time. Also mix up some Dawn and water and spray it around your home and dogs area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

I just bought 50# at the feed store in town. paid $25.99 much better than on line. Mgh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Well,I found this online tonight.
http://www.pet-rx-meds.net/browse1.htm
A price I can afford and make it a 3 month supply for each dog.
I just have to use a credit card.Never done that before.
wish they took paypal.I thought about sending them a message and asking if a prepay card would work.It should.the Comfortis is what is given to 1 of my dogs brothers and it's mother and works so my theory is it should be best for my dog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Back on the farm, Pa raised fleas to tell which hogs at the auction had the highest
hemoglobin count. Higher hemoglobin count means better blood pudding. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 03:29 am:

Hi Mack,

Here in South Africa we get sand flea outbreaks... mostly at the coast. For what its worth, here's the way we sort them out.

Diesel.

Put a bit of diesel in a saucer and place a few saucers around the affected area. The fleas literally jump into the diesel and die.

When we used to go to the old holiday house, we'd walk into the garage, and watch our legs turn black as the little buggars jumped onto us. After putting the diesel saucers in there, nothing.

If they got into the carpets in the house, then you need to slide the saucers under the bed, side table, tv cabinet etc. They go to the diesel and jump in.

Cheapest solution we had.

But, in your case, I'd probably sprinkle the broad spectrum insect powder (here its called Karbadust) around as well. It has a half life of a few days, and supposed to be safe for pets.

Here we get a lawn fertiliser with Karbadust in it also, for infestation in the grass. Fleas, cut worm etc.

When I lived in Florida, I had a flea outbreak as well. My 100lb pooch was riddled. I got a $16 pill the name of which escapes me, but it would kill fleas ticks etc, and stay in his system for 4-6 weeks. Doesn't wash off when he swims either, which was nice.

But I think in your case, diesel, and insect powder should do it.

I think you've treated the dog already.

Anyway, I hope that this helps, your flea problem goes away.

Cheers
Justin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Diesel,now I can do that! :-)
I had already considered setting up a boom sprayer and 12 gallon tank with electric pump and spray the driveways with kerosene.just hope no yahoo comes along smoking for awhile.
Well off to the store to get the D earth and a gallon of diesel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Well the diatomaceaous earth is applied in the dog lot and in the long haired dogs favorite old chair in the shop.It is my understanding if the bug crawls on it,it is dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Looks like Karbadust isn't available in the US. Must be too good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Mack,

I am the "bug guy" at a University and they guy you were looking for.

Be careful with what you are doing, I raced through this thread and see you have made repeated applications. What you are experiencing is not that you haven't killed them but the pesticides don't penetrate the egg capsule so they will continue to hatch for a few weeks (and die).

the IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) is a good supplement and is designed to disrupt the formation of the exo-skeleton of the insect and make it a sterile adult.

The DE is not something I have liked but it can't hurt. It is actually an abrasive that will "cut" the waxy covering that retains moisture in the insect and causes desiccation. It can also be ingested and cause trauma internally but if it gets wet it will "clump" and not be as effective. This is not a chemical but small fossils of aquatic life.

Your problem is most likely seasonal from the yard and not related to grass clippings in the mower. In my area we have a tick problem that we have never had before.

As far as giving the dogs medication that is best left to a veterinarian. Those products make the dog (the host) a systemic poison. Something was mentioned about a pill that also kills heart worm and if a dog has heart worm and has a mass kill the worms located in one side of the heart can all break loose and kill the dog.

You will get it under control again but I would take more time between sprays and let the chemicals work as the insects emerge. Keep the dogs out of the treated area while it is wet so they don't lick their wet paws and ALWAYS follow the label directions. It is not good to over concentrate the mixture or to over apply.

One more point, remember that you will kill non target organisms. Permethrin is a good product but really deadly to bees (and cats if they get into it while it is wet). Pinpoint your target as best you can and not shot gun the environment. Home brew solutions are not the best approach, they have no EPA registration or studies.

Regards,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Correction, flea development is a complete metamorphosis--egg, larva, pupae then adult. When in the pupal stage the insects are in a shell like a nut and pesticides don't have effect until they hatch out. That is what is going on with you. It is not the egg case but the pupal shell just before emergence that protects the insect from exposure. Other insects have different life stages where the egg case is impervious and the next stage is a "nymph".

Regardless what you are experiencing is normal with flea problems and it will resolve as they hatch out and are exposed to the materials. Spraying several times a day is not going to help and is costing you money and needles exposure.

Tim again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Thank you sir.
Are the chemicals I am using not the correct 1's? If i weren't being taught better I would swear I was dealing with mutants.
And I can say, they aint gone yet by any means. I bathed the poor things again and the 1 with long hair and thick coat was really covered again.
So apparently nothing is working very well yet or at all.
I was getting concerned I may be over spraying but I am trying very hard to get a handle on this thing.

I have read of much worse problems than I have.I just don't want a problem like I have read about.
So far I can just walk in to feed and water and this evening I came out with 3 tiny 1's on my britches.
I won't spray or do anything for a couple days. Let things kinda work.
1 of my neighbors uses Trifexes,and it is the same as comfortus but has the heartworm thing. I would be reluctant to use that as you said without a vet.
I soaked my self with OFF and gave them a bath and let them in the shop for a while.Boy,after the bath they really scratched.
They want to play and cut up and I am just so concerned about the flea issue getting worse.
I don't have a house problem yet.They never get within 40 feet of the house and the only way in for them is on me or dad.I check myself outside the house before entering,toss the clothes in a closed hamper and bath to make sure I don't carry them in.
Frankly, in my heart I feel like I am over reacting,but I normally let the black 1 sleep beside me in the chair I have in the shop in the evenings during the winter and I don't want to be a host to fleas.
I am also concerned about the cloth chairs.1 of them is for the long haired dog,he loves it. I have sprayed and vacuumed and done all I can.Is that enough?
They are not house dog's.Shop and lot dogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 02:17 am:

We had fleas in the house 2 weeks ago.
I got ORANGE GUARD from OSH and sprayed it in the house all over. And around outside the house too.
At first it didn't seem to help at all, but now I know it did. It just wasn't killing the eggs.
When my wife would get out of her car next to a flower garden she would bring a few fleas in the house on her clothes.
After a few days we stopped finding fleas, I didn't know about the eggs hatching.
Our neighbors have cats, one has about 10 and another has maybe 30. They come around our house looking for food and mice. I think they have babies in our yard because we have no rats or dogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 04:03 am:

Thanks Tim. I've learned a lot today.

I know it's a home brew recipe but the diesel trick is what I remember we did when I was a kid.

Got me to thinking of all the other half baked ideas we had for controlling pests.

Like how my mom used to keep cockroaches under control. She probably does this to this day. Plaster of Paris power mixed 1:1 with Nesquik chocolate milkshake powder. In a saucer. So a brown powder in a saucer and all over the place under cabinets and anywhere else out of harms way. Next to that was another saucer of water.

The roaches would enjoy their chocolate powder then get thirsty and get some water. Sounds so crazy as I type this!! But my little brother and I would find these dead roaches all over the place. I might have told him that they were rock hard and we might have tested that theory with a hammer. Can't confirm nor deny.

And how my dad took care of moles in the garden?? Disclaimers abound. But it involved gas, match and a slight boom. Sure sounds like something that would not be approved of today. Hilarious to think of it now.

You also kind of get the idea our house was riddled with fleas ticks roaches and moles! Hahaha.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the weekend. Im going to go back to modifying a tractor conrod to act as the bottom bracket of the shock absorbers I'm trying to fit to the T.

Cheers
Justin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Diatomaceous earth is the remains of small (almost microscopic) sea creatures called diatoms. They existed millions of years ago and when they died, they sometimes died in great numbers ... enough to actually create geologic layers, often many feet thick. The interesting part is that their shells were made of silica and always have extremely sharp edges (on a microscopic scale). It is totally harmless to humans, dogs, cats and animals of any size, in fact is is often fed to horses as a digestion aid. However any small bug with a hard chitinous shell gets cut up badly if they crawl over it and either bleed out or desiccate pretty quickly. Its hell on cockroaches (one of industry's great secrets) but gets somewhat less effective as the bug gets very small. It will work somewhat on fleas and ants but not as well as on bigger bugs.

I have had flea infestations before and for me only two things have ever worked. A professional exterminator OR a medication for your pooch called Sentinel. If you don't regularly have problems with fleas a single treatment by a bug guy or several months of the Sentinel may be all you need. My sympathy's, fleas can be hell.

(pardon the dissertation on ditomaceous earth, but it is really great stuff. (from a former geologist)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Great post Bud.
Damn are we getting smart on this site.

The ORANGE GUARD sure seems to have wiped out the fleas in our house.
It says in big letters on the front of the spray bottle, "Safe to use around food, pets and humans."

Now I just have to figure out how to give the neighbors cats swimming lessons without the neighbors knowing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

I went by tractor supply today and there was a lady there that helps a vet on a saterday clinic there. She saw me go to the dog stuff and when I was walking toward the cash register she ask if I found everything. I briefly explained my issue and She said,"Did it start about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago? " I said uH yea! She told me it has been a Major issue in this area in the past 3 weeks. No known cause.
So I got some capstar to give the dogs some immediate relief and my self from worrying about it. They have a low cost vet clinic on satedays and she told me to bring a dog and explain the issue and I could get a prescription for Comfortus with a coupon. So the black lab mix will be given a capstar on friday afternoon and a bath early saterday morning so he will be as flealess as possible to be hauled in the truck to go down there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Well I tried to take the dog to the vet and of course after I went to the trouble,wrong time of day for walkin's.Anyway,got a free Sample of Frontline Tritax and the dog is clear today.I bought some frontline plus and put it on the long hair dog and he seems happy to.
I have done more work around as far as pruning grape vines near the dog lot to let sun in there. That supposedly is something a flea don't like is sunlight.
Making some headway,didnt get any hitch hikers today when I went to feed and play with them.
Appreciate the input. This type problem affects alot folks. And if you just try to google it,you can't get a straight answer sometimes. 1 site says something works,another site says it don't. Everything I am told here works because we are all out in the field learning from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, September 18, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

I had forgotten we even had a flee problem until just now.
The Orange Guard must have done the trick, although I did sprinkle some dust stuff around the house that you water down.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration