OT Topping off when filling up.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Topping off when filling up.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

This article points out why it is not a good idea.
http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

I suppose it makes a difference whether you are talking about a modern car with a filler neck well above the tank or a Model T. Stick the gas pump nozzle into a T tank and fill till it clicks off, you'll be lucky to have a half a tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Not all pumps are the same. CA has the recovery fuel pumps. That is why there are two hoses connected to the nozzle. If I know I am about to jump on the highway and drive for the next hour or more, I fill up the neck a little. The truck doesn't have a coal can and it will just spill out. I stop before it spills out. The gas stain on the side of the truck just drives me nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

The owner's manual that came with my 2007 Honda Element said not to top off the tank because it might foul the vapor canister and cause the "check engine" light to come on.

While I'm on the subject of the "check engine" light, if you get a light, but the engine seems to be running fine, check to make sure your gas cap is tight, some cars will light the light if the cap is loose. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

I don't believe anything the EPA says without independent verification they have been caught in too many LIES! That being said if I am filling up and then going home and parking the car in the summer 1st click is enough.... if I am on a road trip what is in the neck is burned off in 15 0r 20 miles MAX so no harm no foul to put a little extra in. JMHO :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

One more caution for those who heat their garages in the wintertime - When I still lived in Connecticut, I used to have a 1969 Plymouth Valiant two door sedan. One day in the dead of winter I stopped to get gas (did not even top off), and by the next morning, the cold gas in the tank had expanded in the heated garage and some flowed up the filler pipe, out the filler cap (I guess the gasket was bad), down the side of the car, and onto the floor. Lucky thing a spark from the electric heater fan motor didn't light things off! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Here is California in most counties they have a retractable seal on the nozzles. You must hold it back manually, or you will only get your tank 3/4 full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Since gas has went down, it was $1.97 in my town today, I fill up to the top every day before I go to work. When it goes up I'll have a full tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

The only reason to not top off a Model T is to leave room for a little Marvel Mystery Oil. Whoops, did I say that? :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration