Kingston Model L Carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Kingston Model L Carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Obviously this is a Kingston carburetor, but does anyone know which type Model L it is and know any information about the tickler button on the top of the bowl?
I have asked Stan, but he has not worked on many of these carbs and is unsure.
Can anyone help?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Going by the shape of the inlet, I think its the original Model L used in 1915. I could be wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

It is an early one, around the end of 1913 model year. Not too common!

The 1915 version has no tickler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Was it used in regular production? To my unpracticed eye it most closely resembles the 1915 L shown in the encyclopedia, except for the tickler. It's quite a bit different from the 1913-1914 Y shown in the book. Rodda shows one like this on Page 17 of Volume I, and identifies it as similar to the L except for the plunger. It also differs from the L as it has a non-flared inlet. Rodda suspects it may be aftermarket. Maybe Russ Potter could tell all about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Ron,

Not sure if you're asking what the "tickler" button is for, or not. Just in case, it's used to hold the float down enough to flood the carburetor just a bit. Enough to create a puddle of gas near the venturi, at the bottom of the "U" passage. Then, when you crank, that slug of gas gets sucked up and gives a little extra charge, presumably for easier starting. It's kind of unneeded since the carb also has a choke. My Model N and my '12 Overland both have this feature, (and they don't have a choke).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Most 650 Triumph motorcycles have the tickler and a choke. You will kick forever if you dont ticker the carbs and get the smell of gas on your hand. Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration