New to the hobby need help identifying the year

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New to the hobby need help identifying the year
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom McGoldrick on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

I just purchased a Runabout that is titled as a 26 PU it is not a PU that's easy to tell but I do not think its a 26 as the body is not one piece. This one has a separate trunk. And the gas tank is oval and under the seat. I am trying to upload a picture and hope someone can be of some help. I bought it at an estate sale that the county had. car in driveway It has what looks like an auxiliary Muncie trans between the trans mission and the drive shaft.Muncie??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom McGoldrick on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

I want to add the engine number is 12319659 and that looks like it was built for the 26 model year from what I can tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Someone used the title for a different car when they changed the engine. It's a 1924 or 1925 runabout not a 1926/27. Does the engine number match the title?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

It looks to be a 1925.
The engine serial number puts is at mid-Sept 1925, buy by then they should have been using the improved body. The engine could have been changed out at some time.

Looks like a great car. If you wanted, you could remove the turtle deck an put on a small pick-up box.

Looks like a great rig. Have fun!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom McGoldrick on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Thanks the engine number does match the title. The title was issued in 1967 and the last registration sticker is 1967 as well so its been off the road for a long time. My guess is 25 but I don't know enough. I like the little pickup bed but I going to start with the turtle deck. I am going to go to AAA this Saturday. I am hoping the title will not give me any issues??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Body is 24-25
21" wheels are 25-27

I'd guess '25 but a picture of the other side showing the door hinges would confirm it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Tom,
It's a beautiful car. Are those baloon tires on it. It looks to be a 26-27 nickel plated radiator shell but maybe it is a late 1925

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

The 21" wheels with balloon tires say '25. You could get a nickeled radiator shell beginning in June of '25. The engine was assembled on Sept. 15th of '25, so it's a '26 engine, but the car is a '25.

Have fun with it and don't worry about what the title says. :-)

(Message edited by coupelet on September 10, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Tom, one thing that would be of help, is does the hogs head/trans cover, bolt to the back of the engine block with 2 bolts. Your engine number is close enough to maybe have the earlier style engine block casting. It is more than likely the later "Improved" style engine block, but would be interesting to know what style it has. Very nice looking project and from what I can see it appears to be a correct looking 24/25 to me ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Something else to check is the hand brake quadrant. Up through 1924 it has four rivets. For 1925 there are two rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Is the top original? The back curtain indicates a 1924. If it still has the original top, be sure to save the hidem welt tips. They are unique to Ford, and are not being made. As mentioned the car should be a '25, but is impossible to tell without more information. Look at the frame as Steve mentioned, and also the RH door latch. The latch and striker plate should have two screws each. Additionally the patent plate on the firewall should have two rivets, and clipped corners. If it is a late '25 it should have a tool box in back of the gas tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Is the ratcheting mechanism on the frame for the brake held on with two or four rivets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Oops. I see Steve already addressed it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Nice car Tom and you have a title with it! That's a big +++ when have an antique car. Don't worry about details on the title. Its close enough.

If your car has the improved later engine, the transmission will have the two wider shaped pedals in it and 1 diamond shaped instead of the 3 diamond shaped pedals that the earlier cars have. And what has been mentioned the 2 bolts on top of the transmission cover that go into the engine block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom McGoldrick on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Thank for the rapid responses. I don't know if I can keep up. I am posting a picture of the door hinges and the door. I also am posting a picture of the pedal/ transmission top. I am not sure if the top is original but I did pull the Welt tip off to put in a safe place (this one always gets me later when I can't find things Ha!) I will check the Brake rivets tonight.
door hingesDoorPedals and Trans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Your door hinges are specific for the 1925 model year. Earlier cars had the lower hinge further out from the body then the upper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:40 am:

What did you expect on a 90 year old car?? Yes, there are some original out there that got very little use and did not have a lot of parts changed. A lot of cars that age had lots of parts changed. Yours had parts replaced.
As someone posted, you have a title that matches the block number. Drive the car and have fun, you have proof that it belongs to you.
PS The engine/transmission does look 26/27 with earlier pedals used on the transmission cover. I would guess that the brake drum is the wider 26/27 style that was used on the improved style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Looks like it has a stoplight switch on it too. Its screwed on the lower end of the transmission cover.
When you open up the transmission cover you can tell if the brake drum is wider than the other 2 drums like Willie C. mentioned. If the drums are all the same width it has the earlier 25 and back transmission in it.
After 90+ years things people would do this and that to keep their T going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

26-27 transmission cover and block, but earlier pedals. As the other guys have mentioned, after ninety years a lot of these cars have a mixture of parts. As the nephew in Tobacco Road said, "It don't hurt the runnin' of it none."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

That's a Muncie auxiliary transmission. It has underdrive, direct, overdrive, and reverse. Be aware that if you get that thing in neutral and can't get back into gear you will have no brakes, unless there are accessory brakes on the rear wheels.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration