OT - things I found at The Henry Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - things I found at The Henry Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:06 am:

I came across these pics of a stripped down 1906 K touring car.

Photos courtesy of THF, all rights apply

On the back of one of the photos were written a few discernible words including "St. Augustine," "broke spring" and "end of race."

These things reminded me of a race between a Ford K and Cadillac in Florida. After a little searching the story was located, written in "The Automobile." After reading the story, the broken spring and chains on the Ford confirm the photos and story concern the same car and drivers.

For me it's rewarding to put the pieces together. There's no place like The Henry Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:13 am:

Rob,You can say that again!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:02 am:

I presume the two pipes to the drivers right leg are for the extra tank of water. On my American LaFrance fire engine there is an "auxiliary cooling valve" which will allow water from the fire pump to be diverted into the cooling system. When a rig is stationary and the engine running to pump water, the engine can get got when there is limited air flow going through the radiator. A turn of the valve lets fresh water into the cooling system and the excess hot water is plumbed into the exhaust pipe and serves as a "spark arrestor."

I wonder on this Ford racer if the supplemental water was plumbed directly into the cooling system to be activated while driving on the road, or if they had to stop and manually fill through the filler at the top of the radiator.

Always fun stuff. Thanks for sharing, Rob.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Keith,
They may have it plumbed into the radiator. One radiator hose comes off the right side bottom of the rad, to the waterpump.

110 years ago yesterday, Henry Ford seated on the six cylinder racer:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

110 years from now no-one will know that I existed.
Henry sits in a car or there is a note that says something breaks during a race and it is noteworthy.
I guess Henry made more of an impact on civilization than me.

The real tragedy get is to spend 70 - 80 - 90 years on this rock and to not make a positive difference in people's lives.

Still working on it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Where the race ended.

The old city gate of St. Augustine out on A1A to Jacksonville looks quite different today.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Fred,From where I sit,I think you've made a difference. I enjoy your posts and learning from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 07:40 am:

Fred,
We remember you, and your threads. In 110 years it won't matter. I doubt Henry Ford has an opinion now about us obsessing over him and the cars he designed.....

We may as well just enjoy our hobby, and each other. :-)

Another pic, courtesy of The Henry Ford, all rights apply:

The back of the photo reads "Holley, George." One of the Ford Reminisces reported that George Holley had one of Ford's sixes. This may be Holley's Model K. interestingly, the long brass steering column was made by Holley Brothers. This K is a 1906 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Neat stuff Rob! Than you for sharing. Enjoy the festival!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Thanks guys. It makes me feel good!

I am learning that my mom made a difference in our lives that has continued long after she passed.
My son is working of a major political candidate because of the things my mom did while I was growing up.

Sometimes the influence skips a generation. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration