Engine Rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine Rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I have a few questions on a rebuild. First off, I am a cnc machinist. Question is regarding installing new valve seats in a block. What is the procedure? Do you set them flush with the top of the block? Do you machine the top of the block first?
Do you ream valve guides before or after installing the valve seats? Is it best to ream by hand or machine ream?
I am sure there are different ways of doing this but looking for some experienced opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:49 am:

I do not have an answer for this question and I do not think it is covered in this vid series, But they helped me with other questions I had and thought you would enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9Cs_Ied_FCHd6e-WMvuRQ/videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:01 am:

I can help with one question. When reaming valve/lifter guides, two suggestions.
1. Do it by hand
2. Use spiral cut reamers not the straight cut variety
I almost messed up an early block using a mill and straight cut reamers on the lifter guides. I was barely able to go to the next oversize. Still had too much clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:16 am:

This one covers the block work. Tony is right, great series of videos. PK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBvbXfumOw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Colin

all you need to know at
http://modelt-tips.com/Engine/03.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Thanks guys. I never saw these video links before. I will watch this weekend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Deck the block after installing seats, seats should be just below the surface. They are a press fit and distort the cast iron slightly. Bore the cylinders after seats because of this distortion.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration