Quick answer please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Quick answer please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:01 am:

I am ready to remove the motor from my T and forgot which spark plug hole is best for the screw in eye.
Number 3 or 4?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Fred I used #3 when I pulled mine. Best of luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Dewey Asher Washington IL on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:22 am:

I am no expert but heres how I do it. I use 2 lifts --one in # 1 and one in #3. I lift from # one which raised the front and allows the pedals to clear the fire wall. The I hook to #3 and slide her out. FYI: when you hook to # 1 and raise it up any residual oil in the engine will run out, all over the floor, under your tool box and lubricate any tools that may be on the floor. I tie a plastic bag around the hogs head to minimize the mess. I have also found it helpful to lightly grease the frame rails and the engine will slide easily. Good Luck dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Great :-). Thanks

Fingers crossed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:55 am:

The center of gravity is between #3 and #4 when you put the engine & transmission on the stand. But I remove the head and use head bolts to attach my chain at both ends of the block. I've never liked the idea of putting all that weight on a spark plug hole. I know lots of people do it with no problem, but I still don't like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Thanks Steve.

Success :-)

I started in #3 and got the motor part way out. Then needed less weight at the back because I needed to thread the peddles thru the firewall so I moved to #4.

Those blocks of wood in the motor mounts are a royal pain. I had to pry the frame apart to get them out. I'm guessing that there is a slight inward sag after 96 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

I like to run a chain between cylinders 2 and 3. Can't get any safer I figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration