Outer front wheel bearing races - how do you remove them???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Outer front wheel bearing races - how do you remove them???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Having a bit of an issue trying to knock out the outer front wheel bearing races. Problem is, I can't get a straight shot at them due to the design of the hub. Anyone have a solution? Maybe I need to make a special tool? The inners came out like normal - used a long sturdy pin punch and with a few whacks, out they came. Not so with these little boogers.
Always glad to have feedback from the experts!!
Thanks to all...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

If they are no good and you plan to replace anyway, weld on the face of them. By welding a small bead around on the face (where the bearing rides) when it cools the race will shrink and it will fall out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Yes

A bent punch is needed. Made one from a star drill and ground away part of the shaft to form a 'faux bend'.. works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

If it's one of the earlier hubs made for ball bearings, you don't have notches for driving them out from the other side. That leaves Gary's method. I've seen a variation on that where you weld a piece of scrap metal across the cup and drive that out (if it doesn't just fall out).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

If you don't have a welder, and no notches in the hub i.d., this old time hint may work. Beside welding on that race to heat it to remove, could expand the race, spreading the hub cavity enough maybe to make a new race sloppy fit.

Except hammering a chisel on those early thin front hubs to get at the race seems a bit extreme. Take care if you do this, early hubs are hard to find in good shape.

KRW made angle punch for the later hubs with the 2 relief slots so you can reach the race. Or make your own punch.

Punching seems safer on the hub with enough care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Thanks guys - all good info and will be working on getting them out this weekend. Stay tuned...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

I've found this tool set comes in handy on occasion. I don't know it it has the correct size adapter for a T outer race, but you could download the owners manual. http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Dan, just so happens I found a star drill amongst my unused tools and duplicated one like yours. I worked wonderfully. Thanks for the tip!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration