A&W Bearing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A&W Bearing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Any of you Idaho, Eastern Washington guys know of A&W Bearing. My '26 has this stamped on the gasket surface. "A&W Brg 1966." PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson, Medina County TX on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

I believe they were/are in Seattle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

I used to get Root Beer there. !0)
I see some in Texas.
The one below lists Idaho Falls and shows Bearing & Industrial Sales Inc. on the table. I shop there and have good luck.

http://www.idc-usa.com/customer/idcusa/documents/member_roster.pdf

Hope this helps.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

Well known, large engine rebuild, overhaul, repair shop in South Seattle (Georgetown, actually) closed sometime in the late 70's - early 80's maybe but they did my '30 Model A engine in the late 60's and did the Fire Chief's rig engine back in the 70's but it was under a bench since then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

A&W bearing was up on 12th avenue just behind Seattle University, not Georgetown. One of the founders was Paul Wexler can't remember his partners name.

They poured babbit for many years and was the last real babbit shop in the Seattle area. They closed some 10 years ago when the University offered a lot of money for the property.

Their babbit equipment was sold to a local guy Dave Johnson. He is one of the last good T babbit guys left in the northwest. He recently moved to Eastern Washington, in the town of Thorp. He is keeping up his machine work and babbit pouring doing t's A's and any babbit engine.

Usually the A&W stamp on the crankcase flange included the date the engine work was done.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 01:36 am:

I believe (at least I have been told) that the "A" was Tony Anderson. He was the main babbitt guy in Spokane in the 1970's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Tom,

Thanks for the memory refresher, you are right. As one gets older the memory seems to fade.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Thanks for the info. I bought this car in Worley ID several years back so the Spokane connection might work. I'm always interested in the history of the machinery I buy. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration