Old Photo - Austin Clark In His First Car, A 1915 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Austin Clark In His First Car, A 1915 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 06:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

It doesn't appear to be black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Probably red. That and the bell might mean he was a volunteer fireman. Looks to be a '16 with no top. Wards Riverside tires? Looks like a 1950s photo but who knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

That photo dates to about 1940. Austie went to Dearborn and toured Greenfield Village with Henry Ford around that time. An incredible car collector, historian, and great man. He was a big fan of Pierce Arrow and had an impressive museum on Long Island New York for many years. I was privileged to hear him speak at the 1978 Pierce Arrow Society 1978 centennial meet in Buffalo New York.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Before his passing, Henry Austin Clark, Jr donated most of his records, literature and photographic collection to The Henry Ford. Actually, I think this '15 touring was not his first Model T, I believe that was a 1911 Model T touring, but this is the care that he kept with him while he was state side during WWII. There are a number of photos of HAC, Jr while in uniform in the collection.

After the war, HAC, Jr. Started up his own fire department with his own antique fire trucks. He called it the the Sandy Hook Fire Department. Of course he needed a Fire Chiefs car. He located a '15 roadster body, and removed the touring body from this car and put the roadster body on. The car was restored and painted Fire Engine Red. Gold striping and lettering was added, and I understand he drove it that way locally for many years.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Had the tee shirt and still have the plaque.:-)

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/blog/article/thursday_july_22_2010_austin_clark_jrs_sandy_hollow_fire_department

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

In his book, "Antique Cars," Henry Austin Clark Jr. wrote this:

While I had loved cars from the age of approxi-
mately four and maybe earlier (I can only re-
member that far back), I never got around to
doing much about it until 1937 when I acquired
(meaning bought for $45) a rather mouldy 1915
Ford model "T" with no top and a few other things
wrong. _At this time I was a student at Harvard
which was pretty good sport in itself. _It occurred
to me that ownership of such a vehicle might
broaden my social opportunities.
__I was right; the girls loved "Emaline" and were
even more enthusiastic about "Suzy Q," the 1910
Ford which joined the stable the next year.

The Model T in the first photo of this thread sure does look like a '15 and it has no top. _Could this be HAC's first brass car, "Emaline?" _Trent Boggess tells us that Mr. Clark switched the bodies on the frame and made a fire chief's roadster out of the car—and indeed, the Touring in the above photo is wearing the same brass bell in the same place as the fire chief's car. _The other thing I notice is the oddball forward-folding windshield which was not Ford factory equipment—and the fire chief's car also has an oddball windshield (not sure if it's the same one, though).

Anyway, here are some links to research I did about six years ago, for whatever it's worth:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/104783.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/136570.html?1271540127

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Austie gave so much to the hobby. Those early years had to have been Magic.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo6jh1T6nBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxd8udGXIeI

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration