Legroom in various T bodies

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Legroom in various T bodies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Hi all -
Curious if anyone can tell me the relative legroom for the driver in a 26/27 Roadster.

I ask because I once owned a 26 Coupe and was impressed at the roominess of the car. I'm 6 feet tall and had no trouble. However in a 26/27 Touring, the driver's position is so crampt I could never own one.

Based on that, what is a 26/27 Roadster like? Is it like a Coupe (I would think so) or it is like a Touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

'26-'27 runabout is the same in front as the touring.

The door of the open car is smaller than the coupe so entry is a bit harder with the folding top up, but seat/leg room is fair, for the small low cost Ford :-)

But if you have long legs you can always hang one over the edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

I'm 6' 1" and my 27 Roadster has always been very comfortable for me, BUT my car didn't have the wood supports for the seat back, so that gave a little extra room.

I am doing a ground up restoration and when it's finished I will find out what an authentic 27 Roadster feels like to drive. Hope I like it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

In the Ford Service Manual, chapter 42 Servicing the Improved Car, there is a section titled More Room for the Driver. Here it talks about moving the seat back in the Coupe and Tudor. The improvements began in the 1925 car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

I have worked on a 1927 roadster and it was nearly impossible for me to drive after I fixed it. I am 6'5" and would not consider owning a 26 - 27 touring or roadster due to the (lack of) leg room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

I'm 5'11".
I moved the driver's seat brackets back one hole.
Perfect....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Landes on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

I'm 6'3" and own a '18 couplet.... very,very comfortable. I have been driving a '15 touring for many years and I think it is comfortable, but the couplet has spoiled me... it has plenty of leg room and with post out, feels like a open car....spoiled here.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

I also am 6'3" and am quite comfortable in the 15 Touring, have to stretch across in front of the wife occasionally. Just finished a 26 Fordor and find it rather tight. On longer drives I have to get out and stretch often. It is the wife's favorite, go figure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:22 am:

They're not created equal, that's for sure. _I recently drove a '23 Touring and the brake lever was so far inboard, there was no comfortable place for my left leg, and no matter how I contorted, my thigh was tightly sandwiched between the steering wheel and seat.

My '15 Touring seems to be more or less comfortable, but if I had my way, the seat would be mounted two or three inches aft of where it is, and a little more tilt-back would be nice. _The most comfortable and roomy Model T I've driven was a '14 Touring. _

I wouldn't assume that all '23s are the same, nor '14s or '15s. _And no matter how good the deal, I wouldn't buy one of these cars sight-unseen; you've got to try it on to see if it fits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 02:22 am:

I had a really cute '27 Coupe for a couple of months. When I drove it, I felt like I was sitting on the floor. I find my '14 touring to be very comfortable. My '23 Runabout isn't too bad, but it's not as comfortable as the '14. My '22 Centerdoor had a surprising amount of leg and shoulder room. The body is considerably wider than most Model Ts.

My late father's '12 was very roomy and you could just hang your leg out on he runningboard if you wanted to. There were no front doors to cause any trouble.

The most comfortable T that I've ever driven, was an '11 Torpedo.

A little off topic, but my little '08 Maxwell has 3" more leg room than my '14 T, even though its wheelbase is 28" shorter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 03:06 am:

Exactly how many legs do you need to make room for ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

A nice thing about speedsters--make it like you want. As long as the weather is nice, this is the most comfortable T that I have--Karman Ghia seats sitting flat on the floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

I have a 26 roadster and a 26 touring. I also have a 22 roadster. The 22 has more leg room. However, the 26 can be adjusted a little bit by tying the coil springs to flatten them out a bit and using less padding in the cushions. I have a very tall friend who has a 27 touring and he has tilted the seat back a little which helps him. His biggest problem is fitting under the top when the top is up.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

I am 6'3" and have a 27 roadster. I fit into it ok and find it comfortable to drive but if I get a large passenger beside me it can feel cramped. The nice thing I like about the roadster is it has a very sporty feel and look to it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration