Wireing is back on. Questions on odd ball switch. 1924 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wireing is back on. Questions on odd ball switch. 1924 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Ok switch is back in and all but the coil box is wired up. Question here is for those who know if you don't know what I'm talking about wait till someone posts who does.

My switch has a seventh thermal on the. Ace marked ground and is between the bat and the mad term. Not on my wirering diagrams I've seen. What does anyone k own ragout it. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Jerry

Some of the early and later switches have that Ground or 'GRD' terminal. And many, many do not.

It is shown in Ford Service for the early electric wiring diagram, with a GRD on the switch.

And in other documents showing the early Ford electrical.

But don't know the reason. Neither does Ben Martin, the Guru of Switch Rebuilding. We have discussed this at times. Maybe the switch designers of some of the mfg. like Clum, thought it was needed. Maybe for wood dash or covered leatherette dash boards that were on the early closed cars.

No one seems to know.

Clearly those early electrical diagrams show that 'GRD' terminal going to ground. So maybe?

Or the April 1, 1920 Service Bulletin, gives a hint of using this 'GRD' terminal for "testing" of the switch. But strange that other mfg. switches used on the Ford don't have this 'GRD'. Guess other switch mfg. didn't want testing done to theirs!

Note the comment on the left lower line about using the GRD for testing.

But anyway....if your switch has that GRD, just forget about it. The switch should work OK without that terminal grounded. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration