OT - 49 and still working

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - 49 and still working
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

She may be old but she still earns her keep. It seems that at 49 I could unload a ton of pellets a whole lot faster than now at 69, I was so bushed that I had to sit on the porch and have a beer. The dogs however just love this type of work, they could lay in the shade for hours and watch dad work. But in the end it's a pleasant sight to see a load of pellets in the garage ready for winter. - Just an observation totally unrelated to anything important. Harv.pelletspelletspelletspellets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Nice looking '66
I am in the midst of a '67 F100-352 automatic project in Rangoon Red

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:50 am:

I had a 64, my first truck and the best I have ever had - made me a Ford man :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Seems like we T owners have a lot in common. You have treated yours better than I have my '65. When they offered early retirement many of my fellow employees said they had to buy a new pickup before they could retire. I didn't. My 1985 repaint is 30 years old now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

I've done the same thing. I bought a 1970 CHevy C-10 for two reasons... 1, I wanted a back up vehicle and 2, I don't want $3,500 car repair bills for replacing touch screens and such. So, I bought the old truck for $800, put another 4K into it to make it mechanically sound, and did it all through NAPA. IT'll take me anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

I own that 66 ford for the same reason most of you do. Great backup vehicle, extremely durable, and I can repair it without having to rely on a dealership charging me 1000.00 to change a minor part. In my opinion the auto industry has become totally stupid and high dollar oriented. Try to buy a basic work pickup without power steering, brakes, blue tooth, blue ray, OnStar, on board television, dash mounted computer screen, GPS; All of those features are pure profit for the manufacturer. I guess that's all the current generation wants and that's why so many Model T and A vehicles are being made into cars with all of those features. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

My work truck is an '86. I won't mention the brand name on this site, but it's not a Ford. A month ago I drove it pulling my open Model T trailer 3,255 miles to pick up a WW-I ambulance from Gus Bryngelson in Idaho. The truck made it with nary a hiccup, but it does love to suck gasoline. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

My daily driver/work truck is a '51 F1.
It is 64 years old!
I don't mind the 90 HP but the fuel consumption kinda bugs me, even with a later higher speed rear end. I drive 60 to 100 mile$ mo$t day$. Some times that far in each direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Here in beautiful down town Hayward my son and his X found a nice old guy with 3 or 4 mechanics and he charges less since the are all a minority and he wants the work.
They ONLY CHARGE $185 AN HOUR!
I went down there and give X daughter-in law a ride to work when she left her Equanox there for a diagnosis two weeks ago.
they thought the timing chain had jumped, it suddenly lost power and the check-engine light came on at the same time.
They wanted 2 hours to find out what is wrong.
She had to just go back and pick it up and stumble along the way it is.
One hundred eighty five dollars per hour.
The Rover dealer in Walnut Creek was charging 210 4 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

I do this backwards, ... kinda. I have an 86 Toyota 4x4. 22r engine, carburated, 5-speed.
With the snow we get, it will get me anywhere I care to point it, yet gives me fuel economy
in the high 20's. On a trip to S.F. with an empty trailer down and a 59 DeSoto on it coming
back, I averaged 26.1mpg for the trip.

Parts are cheap, easily had, and the 84-88 4 bangers are legendary for being bulletproof.
I like the squarish-themed body styling, and it is super easy to work on. It will haul a lot
with the lumber rack I have on it. Weight can be limited, and I intend to replace the springs
at some point with flatter, stiffer units to help with that, but ...

.... that's what the TT is for ! It won't go fast, but it will haul 2x it's weight in bricks, sod,
firewood, or anything else I need to move. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

I have parked in my yard a 65 Ford shortbed that my dad bought new. It was doing fine at 250K + miles on it with the valve covers NEVER being off! until the differential failed 7 years ago. I must be the worlds slowest mechanic as I still don't have it back together, but it is getting closer each year...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 01:14 am:

My old 73 Pete still does a days work. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 10:55 am:

My 57 Willys ranch truck. 72,000 actual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:16 am:

My 1915... Mileage unknown.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration