License Plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: License Plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 04:32 am:

Hi all

Is there any way of finding out what license plates were issued to Ford in the early 1920s. My 23 has a little history, folklaw mainly! But we will never know the original plate but it would be nice to keep an eye out for one in the right range and area for show over here in the UK.

Alternatively could just pick up something from ebay with the right year, if i did would it be a rectangular plate? Sorry not an expert on US plates and would be nice to get something appropriate, if it helps we believe the car was originally delivered to Chicago so assume could be a Illinois plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 07:42 am:

http://www.ricksplates.com/illinois/ilgallery.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:05 am:

This site will show you '23 plates from all of the States and the rest of the world too.

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

A 1923 Ill plate would look great on the car but any later year that spells out Illinois may be better to display on a car in England, or any other country where folks are not so familiar with our state abbreviations.
maybe a '23 plate from some other state would be better, especially if the name is spelled out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

I agree with Aaron. For display in Britain I'd go with a 1923 plate that has the state name spelled out, like Ohio or Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

If you anyone hitting the Iola, WI car show next summer, there was a gent there selling original antique auto and truck plates for all the states. I picked up a matching set of 1926 WI plates for my touring in good shape for $70. Or you might get a hold of Bob Bergstadt at Bob's Antique Auto Parts on Rockford, IL to see if he has any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

There are also guys that can make any plate you want.
They are not legal, but for show who cares.
An original U.S. plate just for show won't be legal in England either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:18 am:

THERE'S A 1923 IND license plate on eBay right now, but they want $50 for it.
One will come up. Just keep checking and asking. Since TT does not need a matching pair it should be fairly easy get a couple of plates. He would not need the same number front and rear, and he could even have plates fro two different states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:39 am:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/european-plates.html?=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 02:17 am:

Thanks for this, A different question has been raised in my mind, would the car have had two plates or just one in the rear, I have seen some older versions with either combination, was it different state to state?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:30 am:

Most states require both plates.
A few, I believe, only require one on the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 08:38 am:

The issue is what was required in 1923. I suspect that many more states then only required one. I think Missouri went from one to two plates in the 1970s sometime. I certainly remember having just one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Yeah, one or two plate requirements can vary by state for any period (year). I just put a front plate bracket on a friend's modern car she brought from New Mexico. It had no provision for mounting a front plate. Some states didn't issue yearly plates but rather a yearly badge, tag or sticker. To make it more complicated, some states didn't issue plates at all in the early years. It was left to individual cities and counties to "tax" automobiles and the registration number was left up to the owner to display. It's better to research a specific state's license plate history if you want a truly authentic display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

In Massachusetts, you may use a Year Of Manufacture plate on an automobile registered as an antique. Regardless of the year of the car, on an antique you only need one plate on the rear. If (as I do) you only have one plate, and someone finds the matching plate of a year where two plates were used, the second plate is ineligible for use as a YOM plate. If the guy who has the other plate is smart, he will find you and sell it to you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

in California, two plates since at least 1914, except for 1945, when, to save metal, one plate, rear mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 04:39 am:

Hi

I received a Pm from someone, note sure how I get back in my user profile, but wanted to say thank you for the kind offer. I'll leave for the time being, but really does show how good this forum is.

Many thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 05:38 am:

"Leave"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:08 am:

Leave - Not take up the offer FTB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 08:17 am:

Illinois license plates were issued as pairs from at least about 1913 to the current day. An interesting part about the plates is that there was no consistent size of the plates, often from year to year, and certainly within a given year. For example if a plate had four digits, for example, it was much narrower than a plate for the same year with seven digits.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:50 am:

In Denmark we can get "historical licenseplates" from the authorities that looks like they did back then. Here is the licenseplate I got this monday on my latest toy - a red 1921 Pick-up:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Great, Michael :-)
Now please tell us more about your new toy..
What's the red round sign with a hand?
How is it running compared to your other T? Less weight = more power or about the same?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

The red circle, which is an original, is for commercial cars - (much) later the license plates became yellow with black letters and digits for commercial cars. They pay less tax.
I'll present my new toy in a seperate thread.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration